In search of zoo eating nudi's or sundial snail

check out reef central...there is always people infected there. Good luck getting rid of them. Have you thought of trading the rocks with the zoa's on it into an LFS for rock without zoa's? you can probably make a profit

from what I hear even predators won't entirely wipe out every zoanthid.

trade you a bottle of joes juice equivlant with syringe for a frag before you kill them off.

I've tried joes juice, it won't completely destroy them...not even a few random polyps here and there. My base rock is covered with them.

I would sell it and replace it with some LR you could prob Trade and still make some $. What color are the zoo"s are they. You could also if you felt like it is break up the rock and sell frags I am sure they would fly out of your tank.

Keep us posted and good luck
Bruce

I can't remove my rocks ase they are the largest base rocks in the tank and have some nice SPS corals already encrusted on them. Not only woulk it be a PITA to get the rocks out, I would have to try to break them into pieces to seperate the zoo parts from the rest of the corals. That and my aquascaping is perfect.

I appreciate people's advice, but I have tried all of the other suggestions for getting rid of the zoos, with the exception of natural predators. My question is simply who has some!

Did you ever find any sundial snails to wipe out your zoanthids? I have the same situation and would like to know if I should hunt down some snails to eradicate the problem.

Thanks,

Gary

Go get some muriatic acid (sold in local hardware stores, although not home depot or lowes). It is just dilute hydrochloric acid, is cheap ($5 a gallon). You can use it to clean your equipment (just dilute it out) like vinegar (but stronger).

Even better, take a thin needle syringe, and use it to inject muriatic acid directly into each zoo (or mushroom, mojano, whatever). It will die, and not come back. I completely cleaned my baserock of hundreds of brown zoos this way.

I asked Randy Holmes-Farley (expert chemist on reefs) about using muriatic acid in a tank, and he said the only effects of it are lowering pH and a slight drop in alkalinity.

You can buy either an angel or moorish idol. Mine would clear all zoa's within a day. TI has some healthy and eating moorish idols currently.

Captain Andy,

I'll have to look into the Moorish idol - I never thought of that.

Reef55,

After trading in most of my baserock, I'm down to hundreds, not thousands of zooanthids; so maybe I'll give the muriatic a try. Where did you get the thin needle syringe?

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll report back on the results.

Gary

Back