Jack's going big, 90g build

But now that is fixed one of my lights is toast. Fans have died and I've fixed leds as they died over time, but now it's just finished.

Not sure what to do now. Stick with leds, or go MH. If I stay with the leds, it'll probably be the reef breeders photon 48, maybe a pair of the rapidled dual aurora puck leds, or just two more of these cheapo leds. I would like to give maybe the radions or ai hydra 52's a shot, but can't justify spending for something expensive when I only have about 9 weeks until the baby is born.

Whatever I do I need to figure it out soon. Not sure how much longer I want this tank to go with low light haha

After going back and forth with myself about one million times, I decided to go t5. I've only really had a cheap one when I first started in this hobby, and it wasn't for long, so I figure time to give it a shot.

I didn't want to risk going MH and needing a chiller and that whole routine again, I didnt want to buy the cheap leds again, and it just seems that they're still advancing, and I didn't want to get left in the dust with old technology. Seems like a lot of people are starting to include lime green and other colors that are supposedly creating a better spectrum or something. I'll try them again, but probably in a few years.

I ordered the ATI Sunpower 6X54. Was thinking 8X54 at first but everything I read seemed to say that would be too wide for my tank. For bulbs I went with two Blue plus, two coral plus, purple plus, and true actinic. That seemed to be a pretty popular combo suggestion, so I figured I'd start with that. I'll buy more bulbs and tinker as I go.

I'm pretty excited to get the light, it's rare that I go nuts and buy something new and expensive for myself. Should be here Wednesday!!

While I'm here posting. Anyone have suggestion what to do with my power strips, electrical cords and stuff? I've read not to leave them in the stand. In my apartment I was able to hang them from the wall behind the tank. As you can see in the pictures the wall is tiled, so that's out. I used velcro last summer but that fell off, and in November I used heavy duty velcro which seemed to be working. Now that it is warm and humid out, the tiles get a little slick sometimes if I dont always have the dehumidifier going, so the heavy duty velcro has now fallen. Everything is just sitting on a tupperware box next to the tank driving me crazy now...

Well got the new light today. One bulb is a dud though, so I can only get 4 of the 6 on, still looks pretty good. Already have a free replacement bulb on the way.

Got to do something about the light holder and get rid of the two middle ones

Only 4 bulbs going of the 6

Lousy cell picture

Last edited:
I've been debating getting rid of the sand I had in the middle chamber of the sump for a while now, and today during a WC I finally did. It seemed to be working as a trap for waste and since I don't have any macro (original plan was for a fuge chamber), I decided to take it all out finally.

Was thinking of what to use to extra space for now. Was thinking of maybe a little frag rack section, but I'd need to up the flow in that area and pick lighting. I could put one of the old d120's that is working in there, but worried about the heat, although the tank typically stays nice and cool. Ahhh decisions.....

Back