Just a thought

Mixed Reefer

BRS Member
Hi Reefers. Some mornings shots of my reef tank. This Red Sea 425xl tank was huge at first. Now I’m standing back looking and I think I need more space. My advice is buy a bigger tank or you’ll be like me spending more in the long run. This is already my second tank. Thinking of upsizing. Problem is I’m heading to Palooza soon :) Might have to set up spare tank soon just to get by.
02F3624A-8827-4482-841A-1916B6C1EC8E.jpeg
24905880-AD95-432B-837C-C95EA802888A.jpeg
E9DCDC62-4362-4B06-885E-549794DDCA3D.jpeg
8AA6B72E-E59A-423F-A228-416557AAD529.jpeg
Anyway just wanted to share. Here’s my setup
T5 x4 and G5 x4
Apex
Nitrate 22
Phosphates.04
Alkalinity 9
Calcium 450
Magnesium 1350
Ph 8.3.-8.5

First. I think Your tank is beautiful and bluetiful.

Bigger tank cost more to run.
From equipments, salt, water…to .everything unless you are one of those sponsors or vendors

The other problem (that I had experienced) is that after awhile people eventually will go smaller again instead of leaving the hobby because the hobby is so addictive. (trust me on this)
After 20+ years in the hobby, I kind of known

Last edited:
Small tanks can be fun faster because they fill up with growth and look mature more quickly. (But harder to sustain)

Small tanks can be fun faster because they fill up with growth and look mature more quickly. (But harder to sustain)
True but as we get further along in reef keeping are small half inch frags become nice colonies. In a large tank they’ll be amazing. My thoughts on upgrading also includes my fish. They just need more room. I don’t want to give them up. Some were in my first tank.

I just love building tanks and doing it is half the fun of the hobby to me. Got a 40B with homebuilt 20 long sump, 75g with 40B sump with a FijiCube kit, 100g SCA rimless with 40B sump, 155 bow with 40B custom sump and custom steel stand. The 155 has been water tested but not yet filled with salt. I need to get it out of my garage and into the house and running as it takes up too much of the garage. I need the space to weld up another stand...... for the Red Sea 900 that's under the tarp on my trailer!....haha!

To think it all started with a 1 gallon "Fish in Space" tank my son got for his birthday 16 years ago and has morphed into 600 gallons is crazy, but Golf never appealed to me...lol

Back