Just getting started

FreedR

Non-member
Hello BRS, just wanted to introduce myself to the list.

After being happy with my freshwater aquarium for a while, a few things happened that were all telling me the same thing: it's time. Time to take the big step and start a reef tank. First, we're about to buy our first house (in Milton), and will finally have the space. Second, this house has a utility sink in the basement, most of which has already been claimed for aquarium-related adventures. Third, someone was moving out of state and a 55-gallon tank became mine for free. (Previous owner lost interest in the hobby, and after the fish died, just let all the water evaporate from the tank, which is now completely salt-encrusted and needs work, including a thorough cleaning and a leak check.)

So, the plan. After we move and get unpacked, the stand needs to be refinished. Then, with the help of an engineer friend, I'm going to install plumbing from the display tank (in the dining room/kitchen area) down into the basement, where I plan to have the sump/refugium. I know it's ambitious for a first project, but it's something I've been reading about and thinking about for a while.

What advice do you have for this kind of basement sump plumbing? Has anyone done it before? What should I read? Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning from you all.

WelcomeBRS.jpg

Welcome to the club. You can use the search tool above to find some good threads on basement sumps and fish rooms. This is a slower time of year on the boards but I'm sure you will get helpful info. The June meeting / cookout is today so it might be kind of quiet today - oh that and the fact that it's really nice out.

Hi Freed,

fishswim.gif

to the Boston Reefers' Society!

First thing I would do is determine your budget. If the budget allows, I'd use the 55 as the sump in the basement, and get a 75 gal tank for the display.
Both the 55 and th3 75 are 4 feet, left to right. But the 75 will give you 6 extra inches front to back.

In a short amount of time using the 55, you'll discover the main drawback to this tank is the depth from front to back.

For some reading, check out Bob Fenner's The Conscientous Aquarist, and also (even though a bit dated) John Tullock's Natural Reef Aquariums. Two great books. I believe both are available through the BRS library.
Just come to a meeting, join as a member, and you can borrow books for a month for free. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome and the recommendations. I'll check out those books. Fenner's was already on my list, and I have already read Paletta's New Marine Aquarium.

Ah, the budget. Since I am trying to keep the costs down (ha), the fact that I found a free 55 with stand was nice. I was hoping to spend more on lights with that savings. I hear you about the added depth being a bonus, though, and I'll keep my eyes out for a cheap/free 75 tank-with-stand. Getting my wife's buy-in on an even bigger tank remains another question...

First thing I would do is determine your budget. If the budget allows, I'd use the 55 as the sump in the basement, and get a 75 gal tank for the display.
Both the 55 and th3 75 are 4 feet, left to right. But the 75 will give you 6 extra inches front to back.
In a short amount of time using the 55, you'll discover the main drawback to this tank is the depth from front to back.

Back