Kessil A80 Tuna Blue on BioCube 29g

TheRiver

Formally: The River Reef
So it had been awhile and I am severely out of date on LEDs... I bought a cube to get back into the hobby and the seller had a Kessil A80 light and controller with the package deal. After doing some research today I realized how weak these lights are and I need to re-evaluate my light plan. I would like to keep my options open for coral selection and still not sure where I will end up for coral types.
I started to hope I can add an additional Kessil A80 and place them side by side to remedy this problem and not loose the money invested in the light and controller I bought. I dont know enough and I am not sure that will help much?
Does anyone know if adding 2 Kessil A80 lights side by side on a BioCube 29g will make a big difference to running a single Kessil A80? If it will help or not what kind of corals would I be hopeful to maintain with that setup down the road?
Trying to plan and not start all over again in a few months when I start adding corals. Appreciate any feedback

I really like the asthetic look of the lights and was thinking I can buy another matching Kessil A80 and run them an inch or 2 apart in the center of the tank which should concentrate their output in the center of my setup???
This is the setup running water/ vinegar bath to clean it out currently

new tank.jpg

2 a80 would still be too weak IMO, 2x15w=30w/29g=1.03watts/gallon your better off selling what you don't need and getting stuff you do, sell the a80 and buy an a160 if you want to stick with kessil, otherwise check out AI primes they are good lights for a good price. I do love kessils though. I know it's not an acceptable way to size a lighting system but I do, I aim for 3 watts/gallon

Depending on what you want to spend , Reef breeders photon v2 16 inch would be almost 4 watts per gallon at $330 bucks
Ai would be $200 for 1.8 Watts per gallon
There would most likely be a lot of shadowing from only one prime since it’s just one cluster.

Yeah after doing some research i figured that was going to be the case.
Good news is i have tons of time to get a new light as i havent even got close to cycling this tank.
Bad news is i need to sell this light and figure out the right fixture to buy.
Money is always a concern... But would the AI do it or am i throwing another 200 in the wind? I really want to slow down and think about this and not make the same mistake so anyone that has ran a good looking light on a cube successfully with coral please give me your opinion

It depends on what coral you are going to keep. Is the tank 24 inch wide or shorter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And i have not set my thoughts on coral type but from past experience i cant stop once i start and will want the capability to grow anything

Back