Krystal Clear Aquatics-first not so great experience

MikeG

Non-member
I have always had great experiences at Krystal Clear and have posted great reviews several times. I do believe all experiences good or bad should be shared however. This trip started out no different than any other, great customerservice and just great people to talk to. I was there Thursday afternoon and picked up a few test kits and some carbon. Talked with quite a few of the staff for a while. Figured I would look around for a bit and decided to pick up a flasher wrasse. As soon as the net went in the tank, the wrasses dove for a decorative rock on the bottom. She proceeded to just push the rock around the tank with the net rather than picking it up to not crush the fish. After doing this about 8-10 times and pushing the rock all over that side of the tank with the fish under it she finally caught one. Looked ok in the bag just extremely stressed.

Got home and checked salinity and it was at 1.017 so I took about an hour with the fish in a small container with an airstone bringing it back up to 1.025. Turned the halides off and fed the fish while I introduced the new guy. Haven't seen him since. Hope he made it through and will show his face soon.

Again I still had a good experience there with the exception of being shocked at how they would catch a fish. The goal I would think should be the least stress possible and no physiacl damage in the process. This method really lacked in both cases.

Last edited:
Haven't seen the wrasse since I dropped him in :( Don't think I will be buying any more livestock there from this employee at least.

Hi There,
Just wanted to explain why our salinity is low. In our fish only tanks we keep hyposalinity to keep the chances of parasites down so that we dont give you a fish with disease. Our system was just coming up from hyposalinity at the time you purchased this fish. Generally during hyposalinity we keep that tanks around 1.009 and then after a while bring them back up to around 1.017. As far as wrasses go they are known hiders when first introduced to a tank and could take up to a few weeks to come out. Sorry for your bad experience.

Thanks for the response. It might help to tell customers if you are doing hyposalinity. I was ok acclimating from 1.017 (would have like to bring it up much slower) but I would not be comfortable bringing a fish home to find out the water is 1.009 and I have to bring it up to 1.025. This type of change should be real slow.

I know none of my issues were with you Kim as you weren't the one that caught the fish, but is it common place to not move rocks carefully when trying to catch a fish that is under them?

Maybe some day it will surprise me and show it's face :)

Back