LED Lighting for Refugium

Matt L.

Non-member
I am rebuilding my refugium, and I would like to switch from PC to LED lighting.

Does anyone have any good recommendations on an LED fixture that grows macroalgae very well?

The refugium is shallow, with perhaps 6 in. of water depth.

Thanks,

Matt:cool:

I have an LED light on my fuge. It is called truck light. its meant to go into cabins of trucks. It is bright and penetrates my fuge with ease. It looks yellowish like a grow light. Everything i have added has died. The only thing growing in my fuge is cyano and bubble algae. I had chaeto and caulerpa. both died. I have thrown the babies of my kenya trees in there. They died. Maybe the light i have isnt right, but next time i decide to run the fuge properly, its getting a regular light bulb.

Can't find the exact one I bought but I think its 5400K, similar to this http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-Light-Bulbs-LED-Light-Bulbs/h_d1/N-5yc1vZbm79/R-202668649/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051 while I can say I haven't killed anything I can't say if my chaeto is prospering from it either but I must say my nitrates are right around 0 so that could be another reason for it not prospering. Would like to hear other peoples thoughts as I have pondered whether I should get something different.

jbj nano led performs great on mine. less heats, tons of cheato growth.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

what about a PAR38 light?

you can get those 12 LED 1W/LED spot lights, and it would probably be enough for a 6" refugium.

i went to home depot and got one of there screw in LED light bulbs and a clamp on bulb holder for 30 bucks and it works great

Back