Let them grow faster...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
So while fragging some stuff today figured while I was in the tank that I'd attach some acans to the shells we got in the Bahamas so they'll grow faster :d (they grow faster when they just encrust and don't have to make their own skeleton) Here's some quicky pics...

rsz_HPIM1594.jpg

This one I cut into the shell...

rsz_HPIM1597.jpg

And some my Citrus acan frags (NOT FOR SALE)
HPIM1598.jpg

nice idea, let us know how it turns out. Cant wait to see progress pictures.

Very cool Dave. Lets get some weekly progress pictures :)

I don't think weekly will show too much but I'll def keep everybody updated...

We need frag discs - was that the excuse you used to go to the Bahamas?:D

Wasn't the only reason I went there ;)

Looks good. Have you tried this before?

I haven't tried this before but as I mentioned they grow faster when they encrust because they don't have to make their own skeleton from the calcium in the tank...

I have found that, with acans especially, to "counter sink" the frag into it's new rock / shell as far as practical, then form epoxy bead to build a ramp from as close to flesh as you dare down to the new rock. This way, the coral doesn't have form down a vertical or even worse, an undercut before it reaches the new rock...
Make any sense?

I have found that, with acans especially, to "counter sink" the frag into it's new rock / shell as far as practical, then form epoxy bead to build a ramp from as close to flesh as you dare down to the new rock. This way, the coral doesn't have form down a vertical or even worse, an undercut before it reaches the new rock...
Make any sense?

Yes it does... I custom cut the shell for the one that I stuck right up to the shell (not the ones I just glued to the top of shell) so that it fit right in snug. I then put some superglue to close up the small gaps... Didn't even think to use epoxy :rolleyes:

Back