Lion fish in reef?

gurumasta

Senior Moron
I want a dwarf lion fish but I’m not sure how well they do in reef tanks. .

I know they eat shrimp and small fish. Any other issues outside of that in an sps reef?

Thanks!

Last edited:
A long time ago on my old setup I had a dwarf lionfish in an lps/soft coral reef. He did well and didnt bother any of the other fish. I fed him a lot, and I actually bred small feeder fish in a seperate tank (I bought them freshwater and turned them saltwater). I dont recall if I had any shrimp though.

Lions are the best. Like you said, other than eating small fish and shrimp, they keep to themselves.

They don't pick at corals or pick on other fish.

I recommend a fuzzy. They are the easiest wean onto frozen. Mine eats out of the water column so feeding is easy. They won't eat pellets or really small food, so anything bigger than say jumbo mysis is on the menu (mysis, krill, squid tentacles).

Attachments

• 20180411_184715.jpg
    20180411_184715.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 266
Check out the radiatta or antenatta lionfish. I actually had an antenatta not a dwarf. The colors were far better in my opinion.

Check out the radiatta or antenatta lionfish. I actually had an antenatta not a dwarf. The colors were far better in my opinion.
I had a Mombasa (medium size) for years until I got some tainted silverslides. He got much bigger than my fuzzy. The OP did not mention tank size.

I like the radiata and antennata as well, but I hear they are harder to wean. My mombassa was not as eager to eat from the water column as the fuzzy. I think they are a bit harder to "keep."

Thanks for replies. I am def thinking a dwarf species so that all my fish don't go missing. I was just wondering if people had any experience with a lion fish in a full blown reef tank and if they bothered anything outside of small fish/shrimp. Also how they hold up with against high flow.

Thanks again!

Keep in mind you could catch one yourself in the Caribbean, they're really not supposed to be there, so no one will care if you remove one.

Back