Live saltwater feeder fish ???

Sdeluca10

BRS Member
I always wondered, Why are there no live saltwater feeder fish to purchase. For all the aggressive fish, groupers, lionfish, shark, ect.
For freshwater you can go to the store and get feeder guppies, tuffies, all different size goldfish.
The ocean is obviously loaded with baitfish. Why can’t you find them for sale anywhere?

This is because 2 reasons sw fish are not cheap any more. A 50cent chromis is now over 10 dollars wholesale. And sw fish really shouldn't be raised eating fish in a aquarium. Sure picked eaters can start with ghost shrimp in the summers near us there plenty full at most stores for 1dollar still when I see them.

This is because 2 reasons sw fish are not cheap any more. A 50cent chromis is now over 10 dollars wholesale. And sw fish really shouldn't be raised eating fish in an aquarium. Sure picked eaters can start with ghost shrimp in the summers near us there plenty full at most stores for 1dollar still when I see them.
A damsel is a (what I would call) “tropical” fish. Sure they are food for any predators, however I’m talking about “bait fish” bait balls, huge schools of fish. Essentially silversides, but live.
I can’t seem to find ghost shrimp regularly and I wouldn’t wanna use freshwater feeders, such as guppies or tuffys, due to potential disease.
I don’t see why a fish shouldnt be fed live in an aquarium setting, why not? I used to feed my piranhas and Oscar’s live fish all the time.

A damsel is a (what I would call) “tropical” fish. Sure they are food for any predators, however I’m talking about “bait fish” bait balls, huge schools of fish. Essentially silversides, but live.
I can’t seem to find ghost shrimp regularly and I wouldn’t wanna use freshwater feeders, such as guppies or tuffys, due to potential disease.
I don’t see why a fish shouldnt be fed live in an aquarium setting, why not? I used to feed my piranhas and Oscar’s live fish all the time.

Freshwater guppies or mollies can go into saltwater.... guppies are cheap and can be raised easily in a freshwater tank and then used as live food

Back