Looking into new tank, JBJ 45 rimless or SCA 50?

Marshall O

Non-member
As the title states, I am looking into a new tank to replace my JBJ 28 cube that is going to go to my work. It will house anemone(s), clowns, and a couple other fish and higher end corals. I have always loved the rimless look, so that is likely how I am going to go here (though it will be covered with mesh of course!). I want something between 24"-30" wide. Length is not as important, but would like around 18". So in searching, two I am considering right now are the JBJ 45 (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+27974&pcatid=27974) and the SCA 50 (http://www.scaquariums.com/aquarium-systems/50-gallon-starfire-pnp-system.html). Both come with stands which is a big plus for me, as I have very little time to make my own.

I know the JBJ is new, but does anyone have any thoughts on them? And although SCA has been selling theirs for a while, I can find very little info or reviews. The JBJ is a little easier on the wallet, though its AIO (I prefer to have a sump). The SCA comes with the sump, skimmer, & return pump leaving only lighting and powerheads. The JBJ would need a skimmer, PH's and lighting. Another option would be the IM Nuvo 24 (although its not as long as I would like), though everyone is out of stock and I am looking to purchase soon so I can move the 28.

So, any thoughts are appreciated. TIA!

Marshall I have the JBJ 30 rimless. it has two pump returns so that's something to think about when you choose your phs. Im in Worcester if you wanna take a look at it some time

Thanks for the input! My wife just told me that she wants it silent, even if it costs more. With that I am thinking a tank with a sump is the way to go. We already have a JBJ 28 that this will be replacing, and although the tank itself is not loud, the skimmer more than makes up for it. So I am leaning towards the SC 50 right now, but would still love to hear other opinions or options!

So I contacted SC, and they sold me their 50 gallon for a pretty good deal I think. I will follow up with a build thread once it arrives and do a review on it!

So I contacted SC, and they sold me their 50 gallon for a pretty good deal I think. I will follow up with a build thread once it arrives and do a review on it!

I'd watch out using a press board stand. The saltwater destroys them and they swell and collapse. I've had several, never again. It's real wood for me.

I'd watch out using a press board stand. The saltwater destroys them and they swell and collapse. I've had several, never again. It's real wood for me.

Thanks for the heads up. I have had a 55 gallon with MDF stand for 10 years now, and still looks almost new :) At some point I would love to build my own stand anyways though.

+1,
What you can do is to epoxy the pressboard stand.

Back