Lyretail Anthias

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
Was feeding the tank tonight and just realized how beautiful these Lyretail(blue eye anthias) Anthias are.
They're commonly available and readily eating frozen. Swim in the open all day and make the tank more lively. Survival rate is better than other Anthias IMO/IME.
If there's a "Fish of the Week" or "Fish of the Month", this gets my vote.

I have a school of 6. This one might be turning to male.
original.jpg

i bought six anthias 6 months ago and the last one just died last week. it was a sad story and my fault. these fish are beauti anh happy at first but i could keep up to feed them daily. they got skinny and skinny by days and one by one was foods for my shrimps. can you guys teach me how to take a good care of these beauti? i would like to start over again. :(

I had four of them got from a member breaking down they were all dead in six months and I generally have a high success rate with my fish, they are beautiful and do add a nice dimension to the tank.

Jim

In my experience the key is multiple feelings per day. The good news is they are aggressive top feeders so I can just drop a few pellets in and they get fed. I had 4 resplendents (1 male and 3 females) for 2 years when suddenly one of the females started to get harassed and was chased to the outskirts of the tank and eventually died. Shortly after they did the same thing to the other female and now just the pair remains. I have no idea what happened or why they did that. My only guess is the fish were young and when they reached sexual maturity that changed things. That or maybe the females were sub males? I'm really just guessing. Im tempted to order a trio of females from DD to see what happens.

IME, these don't have to be fed multiple times a day. They will benefit from it and maybe should start off by feeding mulitple times a day then cut back to once a day.
I feed the tank once a day and occasionally drop some flakes during the weekend just so that the fish remember how to eat flake since I depend on flakes when I'm on vacation.
The meal I provide them on a daily basis includes:
-Reef Frenzy. I think it's the herbivore kind
-Small pieces of Nori
-Hikari Mysis

I've seen them eat bits of nori and of course all the meaty pieces. I also think that getting them to accept flakes is essential to the fish health since you can put flakes on an autfeeder for a couple of feedings a day.

I feed twice a day. Skipping the second feeding every once in a while. I have pellets on an auto feeder and then frozen as a second feeding daily. The fish will gather under the feeder at same time of day. They know it's coming. They do have a pecking order and having some other dither fish like chromis helps I think.

Keeps domanate male in female busy.

I have them, and had for awhile. I feed once a day, and sometimes if I am sitting watching I will do a second feeding.

I have a male. I was feeding every other day for the last 4-5 months to control Phosp. The fish was perfect. Is an eating machine. I introduce brine shrimps with a syringe and he opens his mouth, biting the syringe at the same time I expel the shrimps. Crazy !!! The food goes directly in his mouth. When he do not does that, he swims like crazy catching as much food as he can. And sometimes he vomits it 5 minutes later. He is an eating machine. Very healthy, I touch wood. Of course he knows the feeding time and he swims to the place I feed the tank, and stay there, like a shark waiting the pray, well in advance. Also when someone goes nearby the tank he swims to the corner he knows I alway put the food. He is just amazing.

Now I am feeding every day and he still does all that. He eats whatever I feed.

Last edited:
I had a large group of lyretails for several years. They do well, evening with 1X a day feeding, but my experience with almost all anthias is that they have short lifespans compared to many of the fish we keep. I don't think any of my anthias ever lived beyond about 3-4 years. I have pair of clowns at about 18 years in my hands, and even two damsels that are about 17 years old.

Back