Mag. Spike is a killer

FishieBusiness

BRS Member
Life is busy and tank maintenance sometimes falls behind. That being said got back to it yesterday. Did a 20% wc. Normally I keep Alk.8.6 Ca.480 Mag.1440. Checked levels this morning at 8:30. Testing showed Alk.6.7 Ca.375 Mag.1155. Mag. is something that I have just started recently paying attention to so not a lot of experience with it.
http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html used this site and did the cal.

Got my recommended dosing. Did my Alk.100ml total what was called for Ca.300ml total called for 721ml.
Mag. 1000ml total called for 3135.

Shortly there after I realized just how much of a mistake I have made. All day I have been watching the slow demise of living things in the tank other than the fish. Sps BLEACHING before my eyes. Lsp are RECEDING into skeletons. All zoas and nems CLOSED.

This is the worst feeling that I have the entire time I have been is this hobby. I blown away at how bad of a mistake I've made.

I guess its like what they say about riding motorcycles. It's not about if you crash but when.

Attachments

• IMG_0892.jpg
    IMG_0892.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0890.jpg
    IMG_0890.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_0889.jpg
    IMG_0889.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    249.2 KB · Views: 203
The 100ml of Alk- was that to bump it from 6.7 to your usual 8.6 (in one dose) ?If so thats probably your problem, not the magnesium alone.

Stinks :( but always remember- it’s usually the sudden change that is a no no. These mistakes can make us better reefers in the long run. Don’t get discouraged and try not to panic when you get test results like that. If everything looks healthy take your time and span your dosing over a few weeks to hit your target.

Easier said than done- I know!

Die off continues. Have 30gal warming up for WC. Another 30gal wc tomorrow. and will be 20gals every other day of next week.
Damn Matt, sorry bud ib been there before. Always try and only raise all . 5 dKH per day. At least that's what I've read anyway.
Thanks Paul. Baby steps. Won't do this again

The 100ml of Alk- was that to bump it from 6.7 to your usual 8.6 (in one dose) ?If so thats probably your problem, not the magnesium alone.

Stinks :( but always remember- it’s usually the sudden change that is a no no. These mistakes can make us better reefers in the long run. Don’t get discouraged and try not to panic when you get test results like that. If everything looks healthy take your time and span your dosing over a few weeks to hit your target.

Easier said than done- I know!
Thanks for the reinforcement. ;)

Moved some small pieces to my wife's nano Hoping for the best for the rest.
I’m sure you don’t need the reminder, but I’d keep a very close eye on the nano. Some corals crash and burn spectacularly (hello SPS), while others will wither over days to weeks. Sometimes it’s best to take the L instead of spreading out and dragging on the problem.

Back