Megaflow drain loud

scubaD

Non-member
So first we had the flushing effect. Fills up, beats the back pressure, makes flushing sound and drains down. We fixed that by removing the dip and rise and dip in our drain line. Now it is just constantly moving down and no more flushing. But there is a loud sicking. Running the water even with the midpoint of the horizontal portion of pipe. One thing that I suspect, this was a used setup and the previous owner drilled what he called siphon breaks just below the bottom of the elbow on the main part of the pipe. By the time the water gets their in a power outage the siphon is already broken so they are pointless. He has got 3 1/4 inch holes around the pipe at this level. Is that what is causing the sucking sound? If not what is it? What can we do to quiet it down?

Thank you,
David

If you suspect the drilled siphon breaks are the issue, can you temporarily block them? Might rule them out as the culprit.

Is your drain/return setup an AGA 'factory' one, or is it DIY?

It is a factory setup. Yes that was our next step, block the holes with my fingers and run it.

so the holes are factory. Just went to TI to get a new megaflow drain, and the new one has the same holes. So they are from the factory holes. Does it just make this sound all the time for everyone and we are just not used to it? I am fine with the running water, but the constant gurgling sound is driving me crazy. What can we do?

FWIW....I had the same problem with mine. I wound up replacing the AGA plumbing with a DIY PVC from HD. No more sucking noise. I'm sure there is a way to do it, I just couldn't figure mine out, either.

Thanks Linda. We were beginning to feel stupid. Off to Lowe's it is then.

Thanks again,
David

ok Lowe's doesn't have anything but schedule 40 and they don't have the necessary reducer fitting. argh!

new approach, Silicone seal up the wholes in the Megaflow. Multi step process, but we will see how that goes.

Solved. Sealing up the holes on the side of the Megaflow got rid of the loud sucking. Adding a length of Nalgene Silicone Tubing to the nipple on top relocated the slight sucking noise of the air intake there to behind the tank, now inaudible from the couch. And all the water from the basement return pump is going back to the display. We did check the siphon break too and it works fine. I don't really know what purpose the holes on the side served. Working great now. Only problem now is some micro bubbles make it through the bubble trap.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back