Mixing dowflake

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
Well I finally got a bad of dow flake and after I do my water change today I plan on getting my CA up to a better level. Currently I am at about 320-340 and I am going to try to hit 420-450.

I have the infamous calculator but was wondering what is the best method of mixing the calcium chloride.I was thinking of doing it in a 5 gallon pail but the stuff heats up pretty good and I don't want an explosion or anything :)

I dose 2 table spoons in a 2 quart jug with RO water. This was allowed to dissolve for 30 min before I threw it in the 90gal tank every other day.
No heat or fizzle. Be careful on how much you change the pram at once. I would try and go by your table or bring up about 50 ppm a day to the 425 mark. So not to shock anything. Also bring up the alk at the same by alternating dosings between the days or you tank may crash. Look at the baking soda/washing soda recipe for this one. This level should be close to the equilibrium of the Calcium on the chart. bring both up slowly.
Rich

I just mix my 2+ cups in a half full gallon jug, shake it to death and top off with the rest of the RO/DI.

Thanks Rich, I will bring up about 50 ppm per day untill I am at my goal.As for the ALK is is right where I want it at, about 11dHK. I have been adding baking soda for a while now but never could find that damn dow untill you offered to sell me the bag, thanks again :)

Back