My 350g Upgrade - Finally!

Jango - we actually don't lose power all that often. In all of the storms this past winter we only lost power twice for about 4 hours each. A generator still isn't out of the question though. We might add one when we do more work on the house.

Besides, an automatic generator isn't exactly a drop in the bucket on a $20,000 project. I believe it's hard to spend much less than about $8,000 on an auto-backup generator system once it's installed and all running. So it's not exactly an obvious decision.

Sounds like the MJ are a nice system. Have you thought about emergency heat?

Actually, at Home Depot you can get an auto-backup installed for under $3000. I have looked at them extensively for just such a purpose. They run off natural gas too, so you don't have to worry about keeping them fueled either.

I stand corrected. :)

That's much better than last time I looked. Then again I was looking at diesel systems since it was for a place on an island without gas service.

I'm not sure I'd want to trust a gasoline system for intermittent emergency use like that, but I imagine a natural gas system could be pretty reliable.

Nate

I am eagerly looking at getting the 50 KW natural gas generator at home depot for $2700.00 totally installed with auromatic transfer switch. It would definitely put my mind at ease on vacations. Right now I have gasoline 15kW generator with a manual transfer switch....got it pretty cheap at HD..$400.00.

Daire....WOW, some really creative, innovative ideas in that system. $20k for all of that is a REALLY good price. I gotta see this monster once it is up and running! In particular, I want to "copy" those external overflows on my system. PLEASE put me on the list for a visit!!!!!

We finally have water in the tank! We just got finished pumping. The tank is almost full. Marc needs to make another trip to Nantucket Sound tomorrow morning to get the rest of the water for the sump.

Chuck - you can come see it anytime!

Nate - after talking with a bunch of people about power outages, most agree that circulation is the key. The temp can drop quite a bit without having a huge impact. Plus, the tank is acrylic which insulates a LOT better than glass. It's amazing - we pumped 40 degree water into the tank and you could barely even feel the cold through the acrylic. But I do think a generator is worth the cost when you have this big of an investment. Thanks for the info on the Home Depot one Reef55. I will be looking at adding one sometime down the road.

The tank really looks amazing. I can't wait for everyone to see it once I have it full of fish and corals!

Chuck Spyropulos said:
Daire....WOW, some really creative, innovative ideas in that system. $20k for all of that is a REALLY good price.

Chuck - that estimate doesn't include a chiller, calcium reactor, or kalk reactor. It's really the bare bones minimum equipment to get up and running. Then I'll see what I need. I'm going to try to do without a chiller. The whole system is in my basement and we ran the pipes along the cement wall. I'm hoping that will be enough to keep it cool. I'll try a fan running across the sump before I buy a chiller. I really want to keep it as simple as possible.

starrfish said:
Chuck - that estimate doesn't include a chiller, calcium reactor, or kalk reactor. It's really the bare bones minimum equipment to get up and running. Then I'll see what I need. I'm going to try to do without a chiller. The whole system is in my basement and we ran the pipes along the cement wall. I'm hoping that will be enough to keep it cool. I'll try a fan running across the sump before I buy a chiller. I really want to keep it as simple as possible.
Still a really good price and top quality work.

Back