need advice on kalk reactors

nickyblase

Non-member
Was bidding on one that looked perfect for me on ebay, but ended up not winning it. :(

So now, I need to find a kalk reactor that's either new or used that would suit my needs.

My tank is only 38g, so I wouldn't need a huge amount of volume. I also do not run auto top off. I take a bucket of RO/DI and manually put it in every day (don't have the room for auto topoff).

Here are my questions -

Is there a smallish kalk reactor that people have seen that wouldn't be overkill for a 38G?

Also - if I don't tie this in with an auto topoff - would it be a problem? Just refill the water & kalk powder as needed? If so, how should I control it's release into the sump? I assume float switch is not a great idea, since it's not tied in with a topoff system.

Lastly - should I get one that gets stirred by a powerhead, or magnetic?

Oops - I lied... this is the last one. Does anyone know of a good place to buy one (with good prices)? Doesn't seem like they go up for sale on the boards very often.

Thanks!

Was bidding on one that looked perfect for me on ebay, but ended up not winning it. :(

So now, I need to find a kalk reactor that's either new or used that would suit my needs.

My tank is only 38g, so I wouldn't need a huge amount of volume. I also do not run auto top off. I take a bucket of RO/DI and manually put it in every day (don't have the room for auto topoff).

Here are my questions -

Is there a smallish kalk reactor that people have seen that wouldn't be overkill for a 38G?

Also - if I don't tie this in with an auto topoff - would it be a problem? Just refill the water & kalk powder as needed? If so, how should I control it's release into the sump? I assume float switch is not a great idea, since it's not tied in with a topoff system.

Lastly - should I get one that gets stirred by a powerhead, or magnetic?

Oops - I lied... this is the last one. Does anyone know of a good place to buy one (with good prices)? Doesn't seem like they go up for sale on the boards very often.

Thanks!

I am looking in to Kalk dosing as well, and from I understand it's a fairly simple DIY. However since I end up spending a lot more on DIY then if I bought one due to mistakes (;)) I happend across http://www.acryliccity.com/ which seemed to have a reasonably priced small one. I'm thinking about picking it up, but waiting for the monthly budgetted reef amount to build enough to buy it :) I'm going to be using it with a peristaltic pump I've been using for top off.

-Mike

Maybe I can use one of these?? I could fill this with fresh RODI, and then have it drip into the kalk reactor.

But then again, this says you can use it to drip kalk directly into the system. It would certainly be much cheaper ($20 vs $200+)! I wonder if I could drill a small hole into it and attach a small maxijet into it to stir the solution.

Attachments

• Aquadose1400.jpg
    Aquadose1400.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 120
Maybe I can use one of these?? I could fill this with fresh RODI, and then have it drip into the kalk reactor.

But then again, this says you can use it to drip kalk directly into the system. It would certainly be much cheaper ($20 vs $200+)! I wonder if I could drill a small hole into it and attach a small maxijet into it to stir the solution.

those are gonna block up on you.The larger versions are slightly better because the drip comes out the side of the tank but it kalk powder residue will get drawn into the line and block it.You could premix you kalk in another container but i think you are trying to avoid that.

You could use the kent doser to feed the RO into the kalk reactor, just not the kalk into the tank.

You need the gravity feed or something along those lines to feed the reactor because one of the main factors in a kalk reactor working is that its sealed from the air so that the kalk doesn't mix with the atmosphere and precipite. Using a small pump to stir the reactor seems cheaper and easier than a magnetic stir device. If you do use/make a reactor with a pump to stir, make sure the pump inlet is raised off the bottom of the reactor so it doesn't directly suck in the settled kalk paste - that would make for increased wear and possible fouling. On my DIY reactor the pump inlet is near the top of the chamber and that set up works well.

All good info - thanks. And Liam - you're right - I don't want to do the manual mixing thing. It looks like I'll probably then get one of those doser jugs (or something similar) to drip fresh RO into a reactor that uses a powerhead on a timer to stir it.

Any opinions on a brand to buy (keep in mind it's only a 38g). Also, what's the best way to have it hooked to the sump? A Float switch? A dosing pump on a timer?

i use an aquamedic aqua doser($80) some folks use aqualifters($13) for dosing top off/ Kalk but bear in mind you will also need some kind of float switch system to control the pump.If you go gravity you are probably just going to fill your aquadoser and drip overnight a predetermined amount(i presume).So why bother with a reactor with a maxi jet or a magnetic stirrer,you just nedd another resevior set up so it does'nt self empty and just shake it once a day,let it settle and then start you drip.
or you could use a timer to start your dosing pump at night as you are suggesting,you would just have to calculate how long you need the pump to run.
Of course if you want it to be less of a chore you should go with the stirrer set up.

Last edited:
Liam - so if I read what you're saying correctly, I can just bag the idea of a reactor, save the dough, and get one of those doser's (just not the one with the tube at the bottom because it will clog). Add the water & kalk as needed into it, shake a bit once or twice a day, wait a while, and then let the drip begin????

you can do that but you will need to empty clean and refill the aquadoser daily to remove the unused sediment.
What i am suggesting is an additional resevior to hold you kalk.It need not be anything fancy as long as it has a tight but removable lid.
Drill 2 holes in the cap and insert 2 threaded john guest fittings in the holes.
To one fitting add a piece of tube to the inside,nearly to the bottom of your kalk container,this side you connect your top off resevior to.
the other john guest fitting you connect a line to your tank and is the output.The force from your gravity feed from your aquadoser drip will then force through the kalk solution just make sure the resevior you use to hold yopur kalk will hold the same as your aquadoser,this will refill the kalk reseviour ready for the next day leaving you just to refill your aquadoser
This way you can put a bunch of kalk in this resevior and you just need shake it once a day an hour or so before you start your drip,this will save keep messing around with kalk dust on a daily basis which i know you wanted to avoid.
i hope you understand what i am trying to describe it is clear to me but then it is in my mind and is difficult for me to describe:)

Last edited:
Someone mentioned a float valve -

don't drip kalk through a float valve, a level sensor switch if great, but kalk throught a float valve ='s constant clogging.

Back