Need an MH recommendation

stevertr

stevertr
I've been scouring the web for weeks trying to find an MH fixture to fit my tank.

I need one that's 24" long, but all the one's I've seen on line are 24" wide by 11" deep and because my tank is a bow front I can't accomodate an 11" deep fixture.

My hope was that i could find one the size on my PC compact which is +- 6" wide.

Any ideas would be most welcome. i'm sick of looking at websites at this point.

Regards

Steve

I cant....
Its set up in my family room, and my wife has drawn the line at wires hanging from the ceiling holding lights up

Pendant can be mounted on legs such as the AquaMedic kind.

what about a HOB MH setup if space is an issue

lamps-now_1850_134804

I have a 70w AquaMedic pendant mounted on a 35 gallon flat back hex tank with 12 inch mounting legs.

I check on the Corallife which was an awesome idea. Challenge I have is that my tank is a bowfront, so I can't clamp it onto the "back" because I have no "back," just a triangle. If I put it on any of the sides, I won't be able to square it up.

A couple of people have mentioned taking a pendant lamp and putting legs on it to mount above the tank. That sounds like a perfect fix. Can someone point me to a fixture/company like that which has a pendant light with an optional set of legs that I can use? In a 24" length.

Thanks to all. You guys are such a valued resource.

Steve

stevertr said:
I cant.... Its set up in my family room, and my wife has drawn the line at wires hanging from the ceiling holding lights up

If the problem is the wires from the ceiling (which I understand), would placing a shelf on the wall, a foot or two above the tank, and hanging the fixture from there be an acceptable solution? You can make the shelf fit the room's decor, and while you'd still have wires, they'd be much much shorter... just an idea.

Nuno

options for light

hi steve
I owned a 92 corner and what i did was i drilled two legs into the side of the stand that came over the tank about a foot and a half and then had place to attach pendant across worked great with giesman nova 2 pendant very light and didnt look that bad this is what i did for my new tank because couldnt drill into ceiling not the best looking but it works. may not work the best for a bow unless it is the 54 corner the brackets come out 15" off the wall over my 125g

Attachments

• ab150 hqi.JPG
    ab150 hqi.JPG
    85.8 KB · Views: 239
I also looked quite a bit out there for an MH light for my 54G Corner Tank and I also had the issue of not wanting to hang anything above the tank in my living room. Here's the solution I came up with - hope it gives you some ideas!

Pic 1: Bought the Oceanic canopy, modified it so that the top sits about 2.5 inches higher than the normal, bought a 250W Jalli 24" MH light w/Giesemann 14K DE bulb, attached it to an aluminum strip which is longer than the light by at least 6 inches on each side. Each end then rests on a 5" PCB cylinder, covered in black to make sure whole ensemble is a consistent color.

Pic 2 and 3: Used eggcrate for the back of the canopy in order to be able to rest items such as fans, feeders, moonlights as well as prevent my wrasse from jumping out, etc.

Pic 4: Modification to make canopy stand higher and eggcrate added to sides to prevent fish from jumping.

Pic 5: Diagonal view

P.S. I'm in the process of finishing another 54G corner canopy...and will be selling one of them (look for it in appropriate forum in coming week or if interested, PM me).

Attachments

• 54-Corner-Canopy-wMH-Light.jpg
    54-Corner-Canopy-wMH-Light.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 211
That's perfect Carlos! Bravo!
Can you please build that for me as soon as you have a moment and send it to my house.

Steve

Back