Neptune Apex or RKE

mchartier

Non-member
I am looking for a controller for the tank that I am setting up and am wondering what others think would be their choice on the controller. I want the Ethernet capabilities so I narrowed it to these two, the Apex is newer so I doubt I can have any users chime in on it. I want the Ethernet function so I can display the information and pop-up warnings on my touch panels in the house. So if anyone has used the RKE can you chime in with your experience with the system.

I have the RKE with the ethernet module. It works great. Really the one glaring thing that is missing right now is the ability to control things via the ethernet. However, DA is very aware of this, so we know they are working on it.

Given the rapid turn-around time on the Apex, I get the feeling that they just repackaged most of their existing technology to make it looks cool. Maybe I'm wrong, but I've been following the RKE since a year before it came out and that has been a HUGE amount of work for them because it was a totally new system from the ground up.

Not sure when anyone will actually get their hands on an Apex though, so guess we'll have to wait and see what people say. I just get the feeling like Neptune is playing catchup.

Jocko, i know that the Apex is controllable through ethernet, and the RKE as you said is currently not controllable through ethernet... so i don't know about playing catch up..

That said though, i'm using an RK2 and plan to wait it out a bit... i don't expect prices of either one to come down drasticacally any time soon, but the apex is sure to have bugs (we all know that the RKE did) .

If the RKE does expand to be controable through ethernet however... i will most certainly trade in my RK2 for a RKE ;)

I am leaning towards the RKE, I do hope they do release an update to program over the ethernet interface, that way I can put buttons on my touch panel to do certain functions, by the way with either one once I get my home control system to talk to the tanks controller I can pass it along to any one else that may have an AMX system that would like this feature.

I've been following the thread on the Apex on reefcentral and it looks pretty nice. Sounds like they are adding a lot of new features.

I have an AC3 that has worked great. I had an intial problem with the temp probe but they replaced it quickly and at no cost.

Jocko, i know that the Apex is controllable through ethernet, and the RKE as you said is currently not controllable through ethernet... so i don't know about playing catch up..
Well I mean it seemed like Neptune did nothing new for years. Then when DA finally announced the pricing of the RKE for pre-order, Neptune hurried to slash $100 of the ACIII. And now in a relatively short period of time they have a new head unit which looks almost exactly like the RKE but which has similar features to previous AC units and works with the old modules. Seems like they just repackaged their existing tech. Whereas the RKE is a new system from the ground up. So I just wonder if eventually the antiquated technology of the AC units will ultimately be a limiting factor and the RKE will leave them in the dust. No idea, just a thought.

They pretty much added unlimited expandibility and a huge upgrades to their web based controlls. Everything is plug and play. Plus they have more probe units coming out for things like conductivity. It's hardly antiquated and actually has a 32 bit processer. You throw the iphone app in and in my opinion it's pretty tough to beat.

- Monitor/Control - pH, Temp, and ORP
ORP input can either be an ORP input, or a second pH probe
Galvanic isolation on probes (no probe interference issues like the competition).
- Two AquaBus connectors for easy expansion, and flexible cabling options.
Plug and Plug bus allows for modular expansion.
High reliability protocol with robust error correction.
Cable lengths over 200 feet.
- All AquaBus modules allow for easy firmware updates
New features can be added to modules
No need to unplug/rewire devices to perform the firmware update (unlike the competition)
- Virtually unlimited expandability - most expandable controller.
- Expandable to 240 AquaBus modules
- hundreds of monitored probes/digital inputs
- thousands of controlled outlets
- 6 Digital Inputs
I/O port expansion backwards compatible with PX 1000
Compatible with the breakout box.
- Control Port - All control port accessories (DC8, DC4, DC4HD, AquaSurf, Lunar Sim)
work with Apex
- 4 Variable Speed Ports.
0 to 10V output interface
Can directly control up to 4 Tunze stream pumps (like AquaSurf)
Can dim ballasts with 0 to 10V interfaces (T5).
- Integrated Ethernet port.
Most advanced web server available.
Only aquarium controller with web server monitoring, control, and configuration.
Easily interfaces with wireless 802.11x accessories
Email or text message alarms
Interfaces with AquaNotes iPhone application
RSS and XML Support
- Only 32 bit processor on an Aquarium controller
Over 16 times more code space & 5X faster than the competition
The huge code space means that future expandability is guaranteed
- Very simple menu driven configuration.
menus to easily setup pumps, lights, heater, chiller, co2, etc.
No programming required for configuration
Can name the outlets (unlike the competition)
- In advanced mode enhanced AquaController programming language available
Day of Week functionality added.
Sub minute control added on EnergyBar controlled devices.
- 4 Feed Cycles or Maintenance modes
- Firmware updates via Ethernet
Flash memory so new features can be easily added
- Alternate power port on Apex Base Unit.
Email alarms or audible alarms when system power fails
Can detect power failures in EnergyBars.
- Internal rechargeable backup battery.
Retains clock
- Huge data logging memory
Graph probe/device data on the LCD display
Interactive flash graphing application in the web server
Over 1 years worth of data logs can be stored
Over 16 times more memory than the competition
- Compact Size
7.5" x 2.6" x 1.10"

would the iphone app also work with the ipod touch? Would be very cool if it did....

This is going to be a tough one for me as well... i'm going to be in the market for either a RKE or Apex soon as well.... but i'm not sure which one i'm leaning towards yet.

would the iphone app also work with the ipod touch? Would be very cool if it did....

This is going to be a tough one for me as well... i'm going to be in the market for either a RKE or Apex soon as well.... but i'm not sure which one i'm leaning towards yet.

The iphone app should work with the touch. I have not run in one that I have tried that has not run on the touch.

The iPhone app for my RKE is cool. Although it can't do remote control until that ability is added to the NET module.

I also have the RKE and have been very happy with it. Just to be clear, RKE not having programmability via the net module was a conscious decision --- not an overlooked feature. DA is concerned about people remotely hacking the system and killing the tank. They wanted to be sure they had a bullet-proof security beofre they introduced that feature. That was what they told me early-on.

I also have the RKE and have been very happy with it. Just to be clear, RKE not having programmability via the net module was a conscious decision --- not an overlooked feature. DA is concerned about people remotely hacking the system and killing the tank. They wanted to be sure they had a bullet-proof security beofre they introduced that feature. That was what they told me early-on.

Honestly, who is really going to spend the time hacking into someones reef tank? I really wouldnt be concerned about it, Id be more concerned about someone getting my financial information off of my computer. The remote control of the neptune systems is a HUGE plus. IF thats what they are using as an excuse for not having remote access for the RKE my guess is they just dont know how to do it because that is a very POOR excuse.

Honestly, who is really going to spend the time hacking into someones reef tank? I really wouldnt be concerned about it, Id be more concerned about someone getting my financial information off of my computer. The remote control of the neptune systems is a HUGE plus. IF thats what they are using as an excuse for not having remote access for the RKE my guess is they just dont know how to do it because that is a very POOR excuse.

although it does seem far fetched, i'd still believe it. Some people have thousands upon thousands of money invested in their tanks... do you really want to risk that if all a loser computer hacker has to do is pull a few strings and crash the whole thing?

Back