new tank build questions

Johorocks

Non-member
So im headed to my new house tonight to do some work, but i dont feel like it...id rather buil a stand for my in wall tank! Its a 75 gallon reef...just looking for imput on building and random suggestions

Marine grade plywood and PT 2x4s or it will rot over time from having water on it. Also you can lay some veneer over the plywood to make it look nice. I love hoods and stands with birds eye maple veneer over them.

If you have space, build the inside of the stand as big as possible, and make sure is accessible from multiple sides. Unless you re plumbing to the basement.

Marine grade plywood and PT 2x4s or it will rot over time from having water on it. Also you can lay some veneer over the plywood to make it look nice. I love hoods and stands with birds eye maple veneer over them.

DO NOT use anything that is treated inside your house. birds eye is very nice with tounge oil, it gives it depth and shimmer. remember good ventalation

I'd say just design it so you can get to things. I don't know about others, but if my skimmer cup is too hard to get to, it's going to stay dirty longer.

Also, if you're going to bury your electric under the tank in the stand--or install a box like I did--try to design that as far away from water as possible. All it takes is a loose hose from a reactor pump, and it's spraying a power bar with salt water. I've got a pump in my fill reservoir (under my tank in the stand) to continuously stir up kalk--well my water level dropped the other day, so the pump was partially submerged, and it ended up spraying around the lid and saturating a power bar. Murphy's law.

Back