new tank

abdur99

i was planning on starting a reef tank but am not sure what size sand i should get because i am planning on keeping jawfish? IS there any combination that works best? please let me know what you think or what has worked best for you?

As i understand it Jawfish prefer something in between southdown(very fine ) and crushed coral.The problem with the fine stuff is that it will not hold together when they dig their burrow,it will keep colapsing.The crushed coral is to big for them to work with and will also cause water quality problems because of its ability to trap detritus.
It may be an idea to make the majority of your sandbed southdown and then have a small area which is of a slightly coarser grade.
HTH :)

~Flighty~ is keeping a jawfish..and it seems to be happy. She was using much bigger than CC though...you might want to talk to her.

I have only had the jawfish for a few weeks, so I'm no expert, but I made a small pile of crushed oyster shell in a front corner of the tank a day after adding the fish and he moved in right away. He seems to have no problem at all moving around or digging in it. In fact he has moved some pretty big chunks of rock rubble over to his home. They seem to like to have a piece of dead coral branch or something similar over their den and a few pieces of shell to use as a door.

Back