New to me 60g cube starter thread!!!!

lilrodyreefer

Non-member
Sooooo I've been away from the forums for quite some time. I've had an interesting year to say the least.
About a year or so ago I set up a little 5g fluval chi. Started off with a nano skimmer koralia water mover and a heater. I tinkered with it. Exchanged the skimmer for a reactor with carbon and then exchanged that for a small aquarium filter to run carbon. Everything was going ok, but there was to much going on in the tank, equipment wise. So I turned off the filter one day and added some plants to the tank and bam!!!!! Things started to pick up. It's a softy tank and let's just say I have green star polyps for days now!!! The tank has been doing very well for what it is. Just some dry rock, live sand, light, heater, and a water mover. Life is grand.
Then it happened. A friend of mine gave me a 60g cube rimless reef ready tank! Now I'm itching like a crackfein to get it set up and running. I plan on tacking some time to set up a nice manifold system so the tank can be somewhat modular. It's going to be some time before she sees salt water but if there is one thing this hobby teaches you its patients. The tank will be in my basement and will be plumbed into a fish room that will be behind the tank. The great news is that I have a blank slate down here! There are drains and water lines already in place for my rodi and salt water mixing station. There are drains in the floor already. This basement was screaming to have a fish room in it!!!!!
Ok ok so enough with the rambling. I want to try and document this process as much as possible. Not only for you guys and gals out there, but for my own personal records. I love seeing builds from start to finish that have tons of awesome pics. It gives the followers the ability to watch your ups and downs and learn from your own trials and errors.
So here we go!!!!! Enjoy ;-) ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445997277.641556.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445997288.740819.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445997296.342548.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1445997305.309900.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Equipment list so far......
Ecotech MP40w
Precision marine sump and skimmer
AI Hydra 52 (display)
AI Sol white (possible fuge)
2 quite one 2200 (return and manifold)
JBJ Auto top off
The main display tank is a rimless 60g cube and the refugium is a 75g reef ready tank that will be plumbed behind the display with a 250w lumen max elite metal halide( maybe ). Going to see how the mh and the ai sol compare once the system is up and running. Starting to map out the plumbing and I plan on ordering all the pvc from bulk reef supply. I would like to do it all schedule 80 for fittings and ball valves and ether the blue or red colored pipe that they offer. I'm also on the hunt for two 50g or more food grade white barrels to set up the mixing station. That's all for now folks!!! Happy reefing!!!!!

Well plans always change had to set up a 40 breeder to house a fish for a buddy and I have to say I'm in love with it. So the 60 cube is out 40 breeder in!!!!

40 breeder is a pretty sweet size, did you still plumb everything like planned w the 60cube?
The fluval still going good?

The 75g crashed twice and the second time i couldn't bring it back. I tried and tried but it was one problem after another. I broke it down to get my floors redone in my living room and I never set it back up. The little fluval chi is still up and running.

Yep it's growin like a weed!!! Once my other tank is cycled I'll move the Zoas to it and let the gsp take over!!!

Back