new to saltwater trying to start a 55 gal reef tank

offthehook2

Non-member
I have had tanks for awhile, but I have switched over to saltwater tank within the last year. I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank with filter underneath, two Koralia 750 powerhead pumps, 2 T5 white lights, 2 T5 blue actinic, 10 led night lights. Have approx. 40 lbs live rock, a couple fake decorations, 2 clowns, and a couple other small fish..forget their names. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to make this a clean reef tank. I have had trouble with algae but recently got the 2 powerheads so that has helped. I have read to get a protein skimmer , but am not sure which one would be the correct option. Some people run plumbing underneath to basement or bottom of tank, this seems like a large undertaking for me but maybe in the future. Just want to get a little coral going before I start to figure out out to build the tank into the wall. Just need to get the water cleaner.

Welcome to BRS!!

What do you mean filter underneath? If your referring to the old style under the gravel thing there is one problem it you mean a canister filter than that could be an issue as well. A protein skimmer would be a positive and a hang on the back would work without the need of a sump. Are you using RO water? Salt?

:w to the club.

Sounds like you don't have a sump so an in-sump skimmer would be out of the question for now. HOB (hang on back) skimmers have come a long way and there are some decent ones out there such as Octopus and SWC.

You can always add an overflow box or drill your tank and a box like the ones from glass-holes. You benefit from additional water volume, a place to hide all your equipment, use of an in-sump skimmer, etc.

Quality T5 bulbs are also important. The par values from generic brands are pretty low. ATI, Giesemann, and UVL among the quality brands.

Stability is a must. Different reefers keep different values but the key to success with corals is stability.

Remember to do your research and take it slow.

First and for most Welcome to the club enjoy your stay it's going to become your favorite site!

I would go with a sump underneath, It add more water volume to your tank which is always a good thing and you said you have some decoration in the tank ? what kind are we talking here? I would add a skimmer there's a few to choose from like Aqua C remora's are great and Octopus skimmers have a great background with there H.O.B skimmer's and there's also CPR skimmer keep an eye out on the equipment for sale thread there's alway's something good in there. And I noted you didn't mention your clean up crew do you have any? and how often do you feed?

Thanks for the advice..I guess that my filter is the canister type which sounds like is not that good. I am going to by a hang on skimmer, thinking reef octopus. I am going to work on the design of a sump system just lack of funds to do so right now. What is RO water, not sure with my terms yet. The decorations are a few pieces of fake coral, I will get some pics to give you guys an idea of what im talking about. My cleanup crew is minimal right now, just a peppermint shrimp and 5 hermit crabs. I definately need more, how many shimp, crabs, etc can I put in a 55 gal. ? any suggestions for other creatures? Also what should I be testing for in the water? I would like to get some anemones for my clowns not sure if the water is good enough yet.

Just make sure you keep that canister filter clean while you wait for the skimmer after awhile they will cause water quality issues! RO is reverse osmosis filtration. This process strips all disolved solids and crap in the water (good stuff returned with salt mix). Tap water can eventually cause algae issues and again water quality! Most LFS - local fish store sell RO water or you can invest in a filtration system. Shrimp are cool although expensive I like my cleaner he is always out and finds food everywhere. But you don't need a ton of them. Crabs you can have a bunch but too many will make you go crazy when they disturb things. Lol you should get a few snails specially nassarius snails they clean the sand bed (if u have sand). Nitrates, nitrites, phosphates, ammonia, and salinity also when you have corals calcium and mag are important.

Sounds good..I do have a bunch of sand probably 2-3 inches in the bottom..not sure what this amounts to in lbs. I have been having water quality and algae issues. Probably because I am using tap water so I will need to buy water or a filtration system. I have a test kit for N,N,P, A, but not for calcium and mag. Thanks for the advice, I'll take all that I can get.

I think my advice is good but just do more research get different takes on things and then decided what you think will work for you. Like I said I think my advise is good most of it is time tested stuff I have researched and do to my own tank.

welcome, u might look into an RODI system........
if your using tap, there are likely some used ones for sale. or sponsors have them new

I am pretty new to this as well but just got a new HOB protein skimmer (CPR brand)for my 45 gallon tank and it has done wonders for my tank.

Back