Oceanic BioCube 14 Aquarium

apurrini

Non-member
Hi I am thinking about purchasing a Oceanic BioCube 14 Aquarium and setting up a reef system. Is this unit OK to purchase? Has anyone had any problems with it?

I am new to the club and have been in the hobbie for 48 years. Presently have a 170 gallon Marine set up non-reef just some hard coral and rock.

Any info and advice will be greatly apriciated.

Thanks,
Juken

Oceanic Biocube is a great setup for a reef aquarium by the time you add the necessary live rock you will be down to about 10 gals which means you only have to change out 1 gal of saltwater once a week, should take 10 minutes. I subscribe to the theory that " Less is more"! Just go slow let the tank cycle then add corals one at a time over an extended period. Don't use the bioballs there are other alternatives. See my post this section "Hi from Westport" you will see my 14 gal biocube. Try to go to the auction this Sunday, I will be there with more pictures a more advice if you want it. LAMEDUCK

Hi and welcome to BRS :w

I have a BioCube 14, and overall I'm pretty happy with it. There were some issues with the tank lighting, that the folks over at Oceanic were very good about replacing parts under warranty, but otherwise it's a good system.

However, you do run out of room fast, and with such a small volume of water, I have found you really have to stay on top of it. In retrospect, I wish I had purchased the 29 gal.

If you can spring for it the BioCube 29 HQI it looks really, really nice.

Also, toss the filter pads, put in a skimmer, the pads just cause a reduction in flow and a buildup of nutrients on the pad, you'll go through them quickly.

Best of luck, and welcome again!

BioCube 29 HQI looks nice and sleek but not sure how well it will do with heat... might need to get a chiller if you decide to go that route..

Welcome to BRS!

If you're going to buy a 14 Biocube be sure you are getting fresh stock older versions had bad fans and ballasts right from the factory, however they are good at replacing them within the warranty period. Remember less is more especially after months of water changes less water means less supplements, less water means less electricity to heat it and to move that water. The biocube 8 gal is too small the 29 gal holds more but requires more of your time and money the 14 gal is a great compromise. Just me two cents.

I just bought one a couple of months ago..Super easy to setup and maintain...I change a gallon of water one a week...and have not had any issues...I added SteveT's Intank media basket (www.mediabaskets.com) in chamber 2 which is great for holding media ( I use Filter Floss, Chemi Pure Elite, and Purigen) and I am planning on putting a fuge into the middle chamber of that this coming week...I have it in my office and it is very quiet as well.

The flow from the standard pump is minimal for a reef, so I added a Koralia 1, which is more than sufficient and only around 30 Bucks..

Back