# of fish for a 75 gallon

Ba19Ma88

Non-member
I am trying to see how many fish for a 75 is a good/safe range.

I will have about 70lbs of LR in the main tank and about 20lbs of LR in the sump and will be using a HOB fuge (hanging over back of sump not the main tank) with Macro in it.

I am going to be putting shaving brush plants in the tank also.

Is there a rule of thumb as in so many inches of fish per gallon? I know the size of the fish also comes into play but just basic info would be helpful. Wife wants to get a few new fish and I want a new wrasse.

Thanks in advance
Bruce

It really depends on the fish, if you add 5 gobies it wont have the same bioload as 5 tangs. I have alot of fish in my 120 (18-20) but most of them being small and only grow to 2 inches. The only large fish in there now is a 3-4 inch Rabbit fish and that will grow to about 7 inches

Is this a reef tank or fish only? For a Fish only I've heard one average size fish per 10 gall of main display tank is the Maximum. So seven fish introduced over a period of a few months. I would do closer to one fish per 12 gal. If you plan on corals you would look at reducing that by 1/2. This is my opinion but you will get others.
Rich

Here is a list of fish I have now with apromx sizes
Firefish 1.5"
Scooter blenny 1.5"
Maroon Clown 3"
Maroon Clown 1.5
Coral Beauty 2
Flame Angle 2
Yellow Tang 3.5
We are going to be getting rid of the tang
but still we want to add a few more fish.

Do you have a strong skimmer bruce?

I'd say you could add one more medium sized fish like a small angel or small tang species, or a couple small fish like gobies. Your two angels will grow a couple inches, and the maroon clowns will grow too, and as adults it'll be close to a good stocking level, I'd think. If you have a big skimmer you would probably get away with more.

Is this a reef tank? SPS, softy?

Skimmer is euroreef Works great. We may have to part with more than just the tang then to be able to get some new fish we want to add like 4 more.

how does your flame angle and coral beauty get along

Ba19Ma88 said:
Here is a list of fish I have now with apromx sizes
Firefish 1.5"
Scooter blenny 1.5"
Maroon Clown 3"
Maroon Clown 1.5
Coral Beauty 2
Flame Angle 2
Yellow Tang 3.5
We are going to be getting rid of the tang
but still we want to add a few more fish.

The general rule that I've heard is 1" of ADULT size fish per 5 gallons of water. So for a 75, you could have 15" of adult size fish - meaning you should take into consideration how big they will be when full grown. This is just a rule of thumb...

There really is no answer to that, it all depends on what you get and how they are in the tank. Start out with a few fish, then let the tank run tis course for awhile, if you think you can add another fish, then do so. See how the tank responds. Get the fish you really want first to make sure you have them. After that you have to play by ear.. or in this case sight.

Back