Open brain died, frogspawn not looking good -- help...

cps68500

Non-member
I'll post as much info as I can think of... tank is 75g and 1.5 years old. I have several other live stock doing very well including:

multiple fish
xenia
plate
maze
candy cane
lobo
yellow star polyps
clam
bubble
toadstool

The frogspawn is about 2 months old, so still new. He was great for a little while (1 month) and now he is just not opening up as much as he used to... All the heads are still active. He shrinks at night as he always has, but during the day he used to be about 7-8" around and I'm lucky if he is 4" now.

The open brain, might be coincidence. He was two weeks old now and declined rapidly. He went completely white. I've removed him from the tank now as I saw no signs of life.

Also, recently I found 3 out of 5 of my long term turbo snails dead. Weird. Some of the 5 were 6 months and some 1 year old... not sure which were which. I do weekly 10g water changes every Saturday as well.

ph: 8.2
am: 0
nitrate: 0
nitrite: 0
temp: 78
calcium: 450
iodine: .06

Lighting:

RapidLED DIY retrofit 48 led kit. 24RB XP-E / 24CW XP-G

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
what's the alk and Mag levels? the forgspawn and brain could be a lighting issue... do you have any crabs? they could be knocking off the turbos... Gotta be careful with LEDs it's really hard to get the right spectrum for hard corals.

shame on me for not having these tests. I will first thing in the morning however. I have a sally lightfoot and a few hermits. Been together the same 1 year.

I thought the frogspawn and the open brain were more of a hardy coral?

FYI, both are on the sandbed.

How long have you had the LEDs? I had my brains on the bottom as well and found that if I put them in the shade or under ledges the have more then doubled from when they were in direct light on the bottom.

The LED's are fairly new... I put them in just before getting the FS or OB however. I wonder if the new stock I get are just no acclimating to the light as well as the others? Both items came from a MH tank source.

Try putting the frog in some shade or turning down the LEDs. You can easily burn out corals with LEDs it seems.

Yep. That's what I did for 2 brains I have. They still get light that is reflected off the sides and such. There is a rock about 5 inches above it or 10 inches above the ground. The brains have almost doubled since getting out of direct light.

Interesting,you even have a iodine kit but no alk(very important)and no Mg kit?
You really need to know alk.

Back