Overflow Drain Line Plumbing Question

viking

Non-member
I have a 90 gallon with the off center overflow. I bought it off a club member about a year ago. I'm getting it ready now and noticed that the drain line PVC pipe inside the overflow isn't glued into the 1" bulkhead. But the return line PVC inside the overflow is glued to the 3/4" bulkhead. Do I need to remove the drain line bulkhead and glue it? Also, is it a good idea to remove both bulkheads and replace the gaskets since it has sat empty for over a year?

No, don't glue it.
My overflow pipe (mega-flo) isn't glued into the bulkhead.
Sure comes in handy being able to remove it for cleaning or getting fish out of the overflow.:eek:

It's different on the return side as there's pressure.

I would just inspect the bulkhead gaskets for any cracks or shrinkage.
A tiny bit of petroleum jelly also helps revive them.

Last edited:
No, don't glue it.
My overflow pipe (mega-flo) isn't glued into the bulkhead.
Sure comes in handy being able to remove it for cleaning or getting fish out of the overflow.:eek:

It's different on the return side as there's pressure.

I would just inspect the bulkhead gaskets for any cracks or shrinkage.
A tiny bit of petroleum jelly also helps revive them.

+1 on everything stingy said lol. Exactly right!

Sounds good. I won't glue it then. Just thought of another question. Since it won't be glued, will water drain from the bottom of the overflow in the event that my pump turns off? If so, should I install a check valve to prevent back siphoning in the event of a power loss or just general maintenance?

If it does leak, the leak will be super slow and not hurt anything. Never rely on a check valve in a saltwater application, they always fail it's just a question of when.

Back