Ozone in the reef tank

Keith Lockhart

Non-member
Merry Christmas to all. Looking for any feedback on raising orp with ozone. I bought a used aquacontroller pro and my orp was at 170. Not good. I did some carbon scrubbing with a marineland 350 canister filter. I have it up to 315 now. Better not great. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Keith

Equipment: 210 gal with 60 gallon refugeium lots of live rock/ wet dry with small amount of bioballs/ skimmer/ calcium reactor/ bunch of powerheads for circulation.

The first thing that comes to mind is that ORP probes can be very sensitive to cleaning (or lack thereof). If your probe is used, have you cleaned and calibrated it?

Whatever the case, as I understand it chasing high ORP numbers isn't necessarily needed or even good. Those numbers are more important for indicating trends/changes in the system, than anything else. If it stays around 300, that's fine.

Otherwise, to raise it, siphion out any detritis you can find, possibly run O3, blow your rocks clean with a turkey baster or powerhead....

Ozone

Jimmy Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. As you know we are all obsessed with making things better. The whole orp thing is new on my radar. I want to give my little cridders the best chance of happy and healthy I can. Been working on it for 5 years. I feel like I should design the ozone thing, run it and monitor it in small increments. Thanks Again Keith

Huh, that seems odd, but I may be way off on my info about ORP probes. I haven't fiddled with my ORP/O3 stuff in yrs :eek:

Check out Randy's articles in the link though. He's a much more reliable source of info than I am :)

Jimmy I am very grateful for your input. I am checking out your links but the eyelids are closing. Will pick this up in the am . Thanks Keitjh

Back