PETCO (Catalina Water Company) Ocean Water at $ 9.92 (5.99 shipping up to 6 Boxes)

Guys please do some research here....as Catalina has one of the worst reputations for boxed saltwater out there... They source water is from catalina bay, which is highly polluted. I know several large LA wholesale companies that used to use this water and stopped due to problems with excess nutrients....and just some random un explained issues, that cleared up when they switched to another company.
Worlwide Imports Natures Ocean and CaribSea boxed water are much better quality boxed ocean water.

Now I know that price is awesome....but there has to be a reason for such a big difference in price on such a supposed similar product.

buyer beware, that's all.

I have been using it for 1 year B ..... and this is my tank 100 % Petco water for the last year and 2 months. But could be you are correct.

For those interested on this one...this is a good offer and is for a short time online. I paid today the classical $11.95 at Petco store

Last edited:
Everything looks great!

So you find that you have to do extra nutrient export????

I will try and find some printed data on there water for you...but I can tell you from a bunch of conversations with husbandry managers at 4 of the larger wholesale operations in LA...they used to swear by this water...now they swear at it....lol their complaints were that is had a low PH, and tons of excess nutrients....now they were getting it trucked to them by Catalina about 3 years ago most of them switched to mixing their own water with Instant Ocean (and one of them switched to Tropic Marin). So I do not know if they do a different process to the water they box for PETCO or if it is the same water they sell to the wholesalers. But I know they told me to stay far away from it...as I was looking onto switching to that water instead of the Nutri-Seawater because of the price. They also said that Catalina bay is not a good source for them to be taking the water from...too polluted to start with. Again, this is coming from people I 100% trust that live in California and have dealt with this company extensively over the last 8 years.

Everything looks great!

So you find that you have to do extra nutrient export????

I will try and find some printed data on there water for you...but I can tell you from a bunch of conversations with husbandry managers at 4 of the larger wholesale operations in LA...they used to swear by this water...now they swear at it....lol their complaints were that is had a low PH, and tons of excess nutrients....now they were getting it trucked to them by Catalina about 3 years ago most of them switched to mixing their own water with Instant Ocean (and one of them switched to Tropic Marin). So I do not know if they do a different process to the water they box for PETCO or if it is the same water they sell to the wholesalers. But I know they told me to stay far away from it...as I was looking onto switching to that water instead of the Nutri-Seawater because of the price. They also said that Catalina bay is not a good source for them to be taking the water from...too polluted to start with. Again, this is coming from people I 100% trust that live in California and have dealt with this company extensively over the last 8 years.

I have used Petco water in the past and loved the results. I use Red Sea Coral Pro, but when I used the Petco water my corals seemed very happy and I did not have a problem with nutrients in the water.

agreed...any box water will instantly make our tanks look happier. and I have some tanks that I service that are only boxed water. I have found that only using real ocean water gives and entirely different viscosity to the water. Things stay in suspension way longer than in synthetic seawater, polyp extension is better, and it just has a certain look to it that is different than synthetic.
I just want people to be aware of Catalinas reputation on the industry side. And the fact It is completely possible that they process it different to go into a jug and on a shelf, rather than into a truck to be pumped into 10,000+ gallon tanks.

As no matter what they do to it...it still comes from the same un fit to swim source...

http://www.cityofavalon.com/content/3180/3269/default.aspx

http://www.swrcb.ca.gov/rwqcb4/wate...011 Final Report for the CIBIG Avalon Bay.pdf

Could it be that they didn't properly clean their delivery trucks?

I too have been using the Petco water for a year, and I went skimmerless a year ago as well.

I don't have issues.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

B

I highly respect your comments and your experience. Thank you very much you posted what you know.

The only issue I have been dealing lately was PO4. My PO4 is high (or was last week, I have not measured it again yet).

My water control is the Fresh PETCO water. Last week my PO4 was 0.24 ppm and Petco ocean water PO4 was 0.04 ppm. So my PO4 issue do not come from a water with nutrients. And please, if I am wrong teach me. Your experience is very valuable.

PO4 was measured with Hanna Checker Phosphorus ULR kit.

Daniel

Ps: thanks for the tank comments !!!

Last edited:
please bring some water by the shop....both your tank water and some fresh boxed water....I would love to run a full test on both...just to see

are you running any type of Phosphate removal methods??? Usually our tanks start to accumulate PO4 at the year mark...some faster some later....but that seems to be an average time frame. If we are not doing some type of removal we are only allowing it to accumulate or get trapped in our sand and rock (temporarily)

I will bring some water next time im around.

I don't use anything. Just do a lot of water changes. No phosphate reactor, no skimmer (in the past year)...

I only dose Calcium and Alk.

I also don't use food for invertebrates.

I feed my fish a mixture of 4-5 dry foods.

But...I don't have an SPS dominated tank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
please bring some water by the shop....both your tank water and some fresh boxed water....I would love to run a full test on both...just to see

are you running any type of Phosphate removal methods??? Usually our tanks start to accumulate PO4 at the year mark...some faster some later....but that seems to be an average time frame. If we are not doing some type of removal we are only allowing it to accumulate or get trapped in our sand and rock (temporarily)

B

I will see you at your shop next weekend. I am not going today because I have to travel for my company this afternoon. I will take a sample of both (Tank and Petco water).

Some values in my tank:

11/23 (2 weeks ago):

- PO4 0.24
- NO3 : 0 ppm
- NH3/NH4 (ammonia): 0 ppm
- Alk 8.8 dKh (~9 dKh)
- Ca 430 ppm
Salinity: 1026
Temperature: 79-80 F

11/26

PO4: 0.19 ppm
Alk: 7.6 dKh
Ca: 400 ppm

11/30

PO4 = 0.13 ppm

On Nov. 25 I added to my Red Sea Max 250, in the media rack, 2 bags of Chemipure Elite , 1 bag of Purigen and 1 Bag of Carbon. PLUS, in the upper rack level I have a ball of chaeto.

Before my rack media was a FULL refugium, as you can see on my thread at Reef Sancturay http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...3-successful-rsm-250-refugium-media-rack.html

I have to tell you that after the pruning I did that day (the day I posted the refugium thread), I was not able to have that Chaeto growth again. Moreover, the Chaeto started to die.

In the last ~ 4 months I started to see the corals were not happy, the speed of growing was reduced and most of the acros were not growing at all. At that point I got the PO4 kit (years without measuring it in my tanks). I found that PO4 was high and started some actions to reduce it: Replaced all my Chaeto for new one and reduced the fish food. After some weeks I did not observe any improvements. And the corals were LESS happier now. Something was wrong in the tank. I measured ALK and Ca, to find that my Alk was at 12.5 dKh and Ca ~460 ppm.

Why I had that Alk, if I was always at ~8-9 dkh ?

I believe that my Alk levels rocket to the sky because the corals were not using it, and the pumps every day continued dosing the same amount. Tested pumps and same dosing rate as one year ago. So I stopped them for a week until my alk levels returned to 7-8 dkh. Corals started to be happier now !!!. Adjusted the dosing to the new consumption and since then it have been around 8 dkh

Reading a lot about PO4, I found that it interferes with coral calcification, so My Hypothesis, as of today and in lieu of what I am seeing, is this one:

The Phosphates are high. I don't know since when, but there was a point, that I started to see a reduction in growth to an almost stop in many acros. If Phosphates interfere with coral calcification, it make sense that " High PO4 >> Low Coral growth >> increase in ALK >> coral issues" .

The tank looks great, as you can see in the pictures, but the PO4 issue + my increase in Alk have been giving me trouble.

Let see if I can measure today PO4 before going to the airport. Not Alk and Ca because the pumps last dosing shot is at 9 AM and I normally measure it at around 7 PM

Cheers
Daniel

PS : By the way guys, the PETCO water offer is gone today.

Last edited:
Back