Petco

Mattwnh

Rochester, NH yahoo Mapit
Petco.... Woke this morning to find out a couple more fish have some nice white spots. Last weekend, Went and bought a few damsels, also a Half black dwarf angel.
Well. I was in there 3-4 days prior (to last weekend) and they had a butterfly (good size, But not compatable with my tank) and a couple more different fish in other tanks (and 4 out of the 6 tanks they sell from had not for sale closed for observation stickers on the tank), But to make a long story short, When i did go back in there those fish were gone (stickers were removed and all tanks were salable), the new stock was in (thinking they rectified the problems with thier tanks) Both the damsels and the angel, Now all the fish that I have bought from them have died. and got a couple of my fish now have white spots ... LOVELY. I know this is a good portion of my fault as I have to set up a QT tank, But limited on space and funds for an aditional tank. Its just I have never had a problem before with fish.

[edit - speculations removed]
As far as I am concerned, NEVER will I do business with them in the future. I am also going to call thier store manager, corporate office or whoever I can, So I can get my frustration vent out. This is completely wrong (hence thier no guarantee on saltwater fish) I might have just as well gone to joe blows pet shop down the road and paid the 3 times what the fish was worth, because after medicating and/or loosing the fish. It would have been right around the same price.

but anyhow, I am done rambling.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is hit or miss with them. i have actually had good luck with there fish. but i know that is exception to the normal

Amazingly, the only clownfish to ever survive in my tank came from Petco. Complaining to the management and even the corporate level won't do a thing, so I wouldn't waste your breath. This can happen with fish purchased from any store.

I have good luck with their fish also. I have a yellow tang I bought 2.5 years ago for $14.99 and is still alive and kicking today. Most of my other long lasting fish are from Petco too.

I agree with steve that complaining won't do a thing in any fish store.
Once I actually got a Petco corporate rep called me on my cell phone after I complained about their dosing copper in their peppermint shrimp tank. I heard a tons of appology but that was about it.

It has surprised me that I have had very good luck with everything from Petco. I keep expecting disaster but so far they have been trouble free in my personal experience. I have seen tanks at Petco that seem to be in distress, so I steer clear of them.

This has happened to me a while ago when they had two Petco. on rt.1 facing each other.I went in I wanted to buy a clown triger or a harliquin tusk for my 135gl. that had ben est.for a few years. I went in and the old man that was working their said if you if you buy one fish right now i'll give you the other for half price great deal right.So I did it had them both in my tank with all my other fish.Slowly they started dieing I asked form help from petco they tried to recommend this and that so I did this and that.Nothing worked I wrote a letter to the corp. office explaining what had happend.The Trigger with small white specs that grew bigger white spec and all my fish that I had for a few years were all dead but one damsel.Anyway back to the corp.they gave me half of the money of all my fish.

The very first SW fish I bought came from Petco. A Yellow Tang.

That was November of '04 and I still have him and he's doing great. And there's never a guarantee with SW fish whether it's Petco or your LFS.

YYMV on Petco fish.

I keep FW fish also and have terrible luck with Petco fish. I stopped buying FW fish from them because they would always die off.

Back