Phosban

Liam

letting it grow
I have always used some kind of phosphate sponge ie Phosgaurd but i thought i would try phosban.I read extensively on phosban and rowa a long time back an phosban seemed a better bet of the two,to me anyway(too many horror stories).
Anyway it says on the container do not rinse,is this correct.I know i read that people where having problems not rinsing rowa and were having to rinse it extensively but i don't recall if this was the protocal for phosban too.
Any phosban users out there?
I don't want a rusty colored reef :D

I've tried both Phosban and Rowa and I think Phosban does a MUCH better job. I didn't rinse - just put in a filter sock and into the sump. Works great.

ROWA works best in a fluidized reactor, as does Phosban. I rinse both products in salt water that I am going to discard. IMO ROWA is the best for phosphate removal, I have and do use both.

OK one for rinsing and one for not.Any other users :confused:

Yep using it in the reactor -b-

I would be interested as well.
IME ROWA lowered the phosphates more than the Phosban did. I assume that there could be a few other variables since I did not do a closed experiment. But after testing I saw better result when using the ROWA. Great thing about this hobby, it's just an opinion. The fact is that both products work, and work well. I guess it would be a personal preference?

I was able to instantly lower the phosphates with the Phosban. I put the Rowa in the reactor and kept it there for a few months with no change at all in phosphates. Not sure why. Maybe it has to do with other things in the water where one works better than the other? You might just have to try one and see how it works for you. Brendan - agreed - that is the great thing about this hobby - everyone has a different opinion based on what works for them. But it makes the decision process a lot more complicated! Sorry Liam. :D

starrfish said:
I was able to instantly lower the phosphates with the Phosban. I put the Rowa in the reactor and kept it there for a few months with no change at all in phosphates. Not sure why. Maybe it has to do with other things in the water where one works better than the other? You might just have to try one and see how it works for you. Brendan - agreed - that is the great thing about this hobby - everyone has a different opinion based on what works for them. But it makes the decision process a lot more complicated! Sorry Liam. :D

No need to apologize,at least i know it works and i don't need to rinse it,thanks. :)

There is an article harker wrote in a past advanced aquarist where he tested phosban & rowa head to head.. the gist was that phosban was just as good, and cheaper.

Back