Pleco

dylan_maillet

Non-member
I’d like to get a pleco for easier glass maintenance in my 50g freshwater tank. But obviously I’m going to need a place to rehome him in a few months as getting a larger tank isn’t an option. Anyone on here that has a pond or monster fish tank that could take one off my hands in awhile if I get one?

Save the fish for when you get a new system and get an algae magnet to clean the glass. My opinion only.

Save the fish for when you get a new system and get an algae magnet to clean the glass. My opinion only.
I have an algae magnet. I truly just like plecos and the cleaning is a plus. The tank is over filtered and I do weekly water changes so I don’t the waste would be an issue.

+1 on what chris said there's a good amount of plecos that stay under 6" just do some research before and make sure you don't buy a common one because they'll get massive

Had a zebra pleco years ago. Very beautiful and super hardy - once pulled a piece of wood out for maintenance with the pleco hiding underneath, discovered it still there 30 mins later out of water! No worse for wear, lived years more until I gave it away.

Also partial to Farlowella catfish. Long and skinny suckermouth, but more active than plecos.

Good to know. Isn’t there thousands of different species of plecos alone? I’m not sure why I didn’t look into it more.

Had a zebra pleco years ago. Very beautiful and super hardy - once pulled a piece of wood out for maintenance with the pleco hiding underneath, discovered it still there 30 mins later out of water! No worse for wear, lived years more until I gave it away.

Also partial to Farlowella catfish. Long and skinny suckermouth, but more active than plecos.
I had one back in July when I first got a 3.5 gallon tank for a fish I won at a carnival(oh how far we’ve come lol). I had no clue what I was doing and did 99% water changes weekly. needless to say the goldfish and guppies I had died after one water change, but the pleco I had lived for about a month and a half under those conditions until I learned more and gave him back to petco. Seem pretty much indestructible.

Back