Po4 x 4 Phosphate Remover

mordibv

Non-member
Anyone tried this stuff yet . It is from the Bio-Pellet guy ?

PO4X4 Phosphate Remover is a unique chemical engineered polymer based mini pellets that will specifically remove phosphate approximately 4 times more efficient then most GFOs. The PO4X4 polymer is bound to very pure FeOH2. Both the polymer as well as the Iron molecules are able to bind PO4 and by combining these we increased the binding effiency. In addition,PO4X4 contains only Ironhydroxide, normal GFOs consist of a mixture of ironhydroxide as well as ironoxide and only the first form can bind phosphates. This means that PO4X4 with its higher content of Ironhydroxide can bind much more PO4 then your average GFOs can.

500 ml will remove 3 ppm of phosphate and silicate from roughly 16.000 liter of fresh water or 8.000 liter of marine water. Use fluidized filter systems for optimal results, a canister filter can also be used. Do not overdose ! Rapid changes in phosphate can negatively affect your animals. Use small amounts of PO4X4 to gradually lower the phosphate levels in your aquarium. Replace or regenerate (see PO-X4 regeneration salt) your pellets when phosphate levels start to increase again.

Before anyone starts posting about it being a revamp or re-marketed product .. I already read that post elsewhere . I would like to hear real world on hands comments please .:)

Anywho .
I am working on a buddy with this .
I will try to keep it updated as much as possible .

Tank 90 mixed coral / pre-dominate SPS
4 medium fish . Feed three times a day as much as they can eat in 5 minutes .
Frozen, dry , nori available all the time .
40 breeder for sump .
Skimmer : Coralve Hurricone cat 1 with Askoll pump .
No refugium .
Carbon and Rowaphos changed monthly . per directions of amount
Water changed every 3 weeks with New Formula Red Sea Coral Pro salt 20%
Ro/ di water is 0 via Hanna TDS meter
Salinity is 1.026 via refractomenter .

Day one
4 teaspoons were added to existing GFO placed in media bag in sump. Stuff rinses clean pretty easy . Not like gfo .
48 hours .>>>
Test for phosphate with API test kit 0

After a few rounds of this kit is crap we needed a somewhat accurate baseline to use since said product will remove x amount of phosphate . Plus a big note on the bag saying Do not Overdose !!!

A Hanna checker phosphate meter was ordered .
Stuff came in .
Curvettes were so tight one broke trying to get the cap off . New ones are on the way
with plug caps on the way .
One test completed and the phosphate tested as .09 WOW ..
This is exactly one week after leftover rowaphos and 4 teaspoons of Po4x4 were added .

Media reactor was reconfigured for po4x4 pellets :Next Reef Mr-1 is being used .
The media bag was discarded .
6 teaspoons were added to the reactor .
It is up and running now ...

U got it were bored .
I am taking the summer off and relocated here .11 years at the same grind and I think i deserve a break .
My bud the tester is retired from the Navy ..
to be continued .

Last edited:
It's there but here you go .
The API for phos is not a good test to use .
One test completed and the phosphate tested as .09 WOW ..This is with the Hanna Green Egg ....Checker®HC Handheld Colorimeter
I bet that mysis he feeds has a some help in that number . I am sure he never rinses the stuff .

Last edited:
Water tested today before 24 hour period was up . 14:00 pm ...
Phosphate dropped to .03 ppm . That's pretty quick imho ..
Question to hanna user's ? If there is a variance of + or -.04
It is possible to be @ 0 ppm or .07 ppm so how do you figure this part out ?

No more mysis ...

TIA P

Forgot to update .

June 30th

Test was completed yesterday @ 10:00 AM reading was @ .00 PPM

Fish were fed last night . Nori and Prime Reef Flake .

July 1st

9:00 AM Fish were fed NLS pellets and B-IONIC was dosed .

10:00 AM Test completed Phophate levels were 0.6 PPM HMMM

Fish will be tonight but not in the morning . B-IONIC will not be dosed until after the test is completed on the morning of 2 JULY .

TIA

P

Just got an email from a vendor .
The regeneration powder is going for about 30.00 ..
Read a long thread on recharging GFO .. Does not seem to be the same as more chemicals are used for the GFO process.
This stuff is a polymer and iron hydroxide based product .
The 500 ML bag is 40.00 .. Not sure if it's worth it to recharge since the yearly cost seems reasonable .
Phosphate test has been changed to tonight before the fish are going to be fed to determine if the level dropped back to 0

Update 07/02 /11
Test was not done last night .
Fish were fed NLS pellets and a half sheet of Nori.
Water tested @ 9:00 AM . Phos was .05 ppm
Fish were fed NLS Flakes . A and B dosed .
12:00 PM water was tested again . Phos level back to .00

You would have been better off getting the Hanna Phosphorous ULR egg. It is far more accurate in the low range <0.6ppm. I started using PO4X4 about a month ago, replacing my GFO. Easier to use for sure but I'm not entirely sure it works much better. Better suspension in the reactor, no clumping but no discernable difference in PO4 reduction. I've had a chronic PO4 issue (despite rinsing food) and am planning on trying LaCl injected via my doser into my skimmer inlet.

I am planning on switching from PhosBan to PO4X4 if only for the apparent need for less rinsing. On my first use of PhosBan a couple years ago the regulating valve for the pump for the reactor was accidentally adjusted and I slowly pulverized the media — I started to notice an orange tint to the substrate — didn't seemingly cause an immediate problems but … if it works similarly.

I have been using up my existing PhosBan before the switch. I only have 42G tank (not including sump) and I don't put any other media in the reactor. The product advises not to use too much initially — even though my Phosphates are nearly zero I don't want to overdo it but I am also concerned about putting too little media in the reactor. Suggestions for other media? I'd rather avoid carbon. Is there such a thing as too little?

You would have been better off getting the Hanna Phosphorous ULR egg. It is far more accurate in the low range <0.6ppm. I started using PO4X4 about a month ago, replacing my GFO. Easier to use for sure but I'm not entirely sure it works much better. Better suspension in the reactor, no clumping but no discernable difference in PO4 reduction. I've had a chronic PO4 issue (despite rinsing food) and am planning on trying LaCl injected via my doser into my skimmer inlet.

Lanthanum ? U got me on that one .
The egg is not working at the moment . It can be debated over and over as to which tester is better to have . ;)
If the level is greater than the ULR can measure then u can use too much GFO material
to get the levels back down .The 713 was chosen for this reason .I use the Milwaukee unit . If it reads 00 then that's kosher for me . I do understand it that does also mean even if the level is 00 it could technically be .04 due to the variance .
The Po4 x 4 is so small it reminds me of brine shrimp eggs in size comparison . The stuff can easily escape a reactor sponge .
It does seem to bring the levels down quicker than GFO but also the caveat is the saturation point is a lot quicker than I was using GFO .
The product is much easier to rinse unlike phos-lock and regeneration process for this stuff is a lot less caustic to play with The phos levels seem to flucuate during a 24 hour period .
My bud still likes the stuff but has added the addition of vodka again to get a handle on his levels . I am also stumped with his levels . He blames the NLS pellets and Nori . Two foods his fish seem to love . He is also using a Hurricone Cat 1 skimmer with an Askoll 1500 pump on a total water volume of maybe 90 gallons . So u got me on that one . I may send my unit to him to play with to see if there is any variance plus he wants to monitor his progress with vodka and the po4 x 4
I do not have the crazy levels he was getting but it is possible his meter was on the fritz since he may have gotten a bum unit .

Anyone got to the point to regenerating the stuff yet ?

TIA

P

Last edited:
Back