Pom Pom Boxer crabs. who has em?

clamm

Nothing to nobody
Who has pom pom or boxer crabs?? Whats your take on em...hows their compatibility in your tank... I have been reading up on them but want to hear from locals who have tried em...

I have one. It's awesome! Do yourself a favor and go buy one. Mine is harmless and none of my tank inhabitants bother it. Very reclusive though; it's a treat when you get to see it.

I have one, I wanted one forever after seeing them in a store, and got one about 3-4 months ago. I see him once in a while, a night after the lights go out. I like them, they have beautiful colors and are so funny watching them wave those little anenomes around. :D

Hah, I have two now! I had gotten one a few weeks ago that was carrying eggs, and I felt bad that I hadn't also taken her boyfriend. She was carrying another batch of eggs last week, but I assume they weren't fertile, as no babies came of it. Anyway, I was getting some things at Skipton's on Saturday, and I asked Ron if they had any more of these. He said no, that they hadn't had any for weeks. But one turned up about fifteen minutes later when he was trying to find something else! I think this was the same tank I'd gotten the first crab from, so I'm hoping they're a pair. The first one I got was also a surprise find -- they didn't think they had any left but one turned up when hunting for something for another customer in front of me. I guess I got lucky twice.

The first crab was indeed pretty elusive. But she does come out a bit more regularly now. The new crab however has been mostly out in the open, climbing onto the very top of the rockwork even. Last night he (I hope) slowly made his way over to the cave where the first crab was hanging out. They skirted each other from a couple of inches for a bit, and then moved out into the open. They were moving faster than I'd ever seen these crabs move before. Then they suddenly rushed at each other (even faster -- it was like they were at opposite ends of a stretched rubber band that was suddenly released) and tangled in a little ball of crabs and anemones. They were grappling and wrestling for a few minutes. I got some pictures. I think there's one or two good ones. I'll post something in the photography forum. Anyway, I think and hope they were mating rather than fighting. They didn't seem to do any harm to each other in any case.

I also got some other pics of funny behavior from the first crab last week. I found her hanging under the arch in the rockwork, carrying a nassarius snail shell. She had one leg in the shell to hold it, and kept reaching in with another one and appeared to be eating. These snails seem very healthy and are laying eggs like mad, so I don't think one died and she was just cleaning up! I'd seen her nibble terebellid worm tentacles before, so maybe she just needs meaty live food every once in a while. Two days later I saw her running around with a hermit crab in her arms -- but I counted the hermits and it turned out it was just a molt.

These crabs seem to get along well with other critters. Mine will share a cave with the big serpent star. They'll stand on him and even ride him around a bit when he moves, which looks kind of funny. They don't seem to bother or be bothered by the hermits either.

I really like these crabs. They're very cool looking and they have very interesting behavior. I'd definitely recommend these guys.

--cn

2 of em it is then :) anyone know about how much they are I haven't seen them in stores

I have one that lost it's poms. I have only seen it out 3 times in 5 months. Every time I think it is truely dead, it pops out for a visit. I got it free with some rock, but i would be frustrated if I had bought it since I never see it.

-Brian

Thanks for the feedback guys...I know I want one or two...sounds like a treat when you do see them.

I have a large emerald crab as well, and both crabs came from the same tank (there was a second emerald crab in there too) I don't think they bother eachother.

Yes I have 2 emeralds and one pom pom crab. When I move up into my next tank I want to get another. I paid $15 I think. And thats funny you say that conrad, when I went into the store to get mine, one person told me they had none left, but then I asked another person, and they climbed up a searched through 2 tanks, and found one under a rock in the second tank. They really are cute little guys when they are out. :D

I've had 2 for about 2 years now (maybe longer) Mine is pictured on the ID page of Melev's website. I've had Emerald crabs, Porcelin crabs, Sally Lightfoot, and of course Hermits (blue and red leg) all in the tank with it. I think I even had an Arrow crab in with it for a while. I got mine when they weren't all that popular, people thought they died pretty quick in captivity. They went kinda nuts when I first posted a pic...that's when Melev asked if he could use the pic on his site. I have seen both of mine without pom poms, they place the anenomes in a "safe" place when they are going to molt, then go back and get them when the molt is done. You may also see it with only 1 pom pom. Somehow, (it's possible they just tear them in half) they get the anenome to splitt. Melev used to have the pics up as a slide show, I don't know if he still does...the crab was using his pom poms to scare away the camera. It was pretty cool.

Oh ya, I've also had pom pom boxer shorts....fortunatly those pics never made it to anyones website:)

Back