Pond UV for marine applications?

Royal

BRS Member
Has anyone tried using a pond UV sterilizer for their bigger systems ? I found one on Amazon I was considering. 40 watt which should be enough for my system.

Attachments

• IMG_9049.png
    IMG_9049.png
    132 KB · Views: 19
I don’t see why not if all the parts should be made of PVC and glass tube to hold the UV bulb.

For the same price just for the no stress of worries I would buy the icecap 40w uv. I love the simplicity of the aqua ultraviolet personally and will be turning on my 80w probably next weekend.

I saw the ice cap one too I did like it. I’m just surprised on how big of a cost difference there is on UV’s bulkreefsupply pricing has been inflated for a while now but the pond vs marine UV brands and pricing is ridiculous. I mean I know going bigger with your tank is always gonna be a jump in cost this hobby ain’t for the weak I’ve been doing this since 2009 so I get it but damn.

I was gonna ask has anyone tried using the coral life brand UV for the price I might just try it the 18w for $147 on Amazon kinda worth trying claims to be rated for 500G but coralife brand is 50/50 IMO

Attachments

• IMG_9067.png
    IMG_9067.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 14
As long as there are no metal parts it should be fine. Some pond and freshwater UVs have a wiper to clean the glass tube. Those are not recommended. I wonder too if the reef hobby UVs are just expensive because of the hobby itself. With that said I believe in buying solid equipment. I have a Aqua UV and love it. It’s been running continuously for a year, I just changed the bulb and glass tube. They are definitely not cheap, but they have a rock solid reputation in this hobby.

Back