powder blue tang completely disappeared!

they probably had been stressed since day 1 and the power outage and addition of powerheads just added to it. going to be a lot more careful about leaving instructions for my mom while im out incase there is a emergency

There is NO WAY PHs had anything to do with this.It was the power outage.

Probably, but on the other hand if the fish was already very weak and struggling, the significantly increased flow due to the powerheads could have overwhelmed it's waning energy reserves and sped up it's demise.

Just playing devils advocate :)

i said i wouldn't do it but i picked up a sailfin today. this is my last attempt at keeping a tang. if he looks like he is not doing good i will put him in good hands with someone on the forum

i said i wouldn't do it but i picked up a sailfin today. this is my last attempt at keeping a tang. if he looks like he is not doing good i will put him in good hands with someone on the forum

you're crazy to put a sailfin in a 75.

your not wrong . a sailfin def does not belong in a 75. but as long as it is still small and has tons of swimming room i see no problem.

your not wrong . a sailfin def does not belong in a 75. but as long as it is still small and has tons of swimming room i see no problem.

FWIW that wasn't directed at you so much as it was to a trend I've been seeing here and other boards lately. Lots of newbies getting together and out voting the conventional wisdom, then going on to spread the "new wisdom". (also busting Moe's chops as an old fogie).

I'm sure your sailfin will be OK in a 75 for a little while. The problem IMO is that all too often people start out thinking that way but then somehow that same fish is still in the tank when the fish has grown a whole lot and it's getting harder and harder to make the case that the tank is big enough. After all, how hard is it to get rid of a fish (or dog) after you've kept and grown attached to it for a few yrs?

Best of luck with your fish.

he is just a lil guy. once he gets too big and has outgrown my tank the LFS owner said i could bring him back for a store credit assuming i dont upgrade by then:..

So, buy a fish and then dump it when it gets too big...nice strategy [sarcasm]

So, buy a fish and then dump it when it gets too big...nice strategy [sarcasm]

My 150 is getting a little cramped with my purple and PB, So I'm going to the other extreme and looking into a 250-300 upgrade!

Ive had bad luck with Powder Blue Tangs, 2 of them, they can be difficult to keep even under ideal conditions, even moving the rock work can stress them because they feel theyre in a different environment, never mind adding power heads and changing the whole flow of the tank. I agree with JOHN K, he was probably already stressed or not 100% and the new additions may have put him over the edge.. Its not the greatest idea to purchase and acclimate a fish that youre planning on having to get rid of already, going into stores can be very tempting, but having a rotating door on your fish tank is a very easy way to introduce disease and infection. Good Luck and be careful

Back