[Quick Help]In-wall tank height???

Kevin McG

Ni Hao!
Looking for the perfect bottom of tank height. I am in the middle of gutting my new tank room and need to plot out tank location.

I am thinking 34" from the floor

I find that ideal tank height depends a great deal on the room configuration. The standard height of stands, about 32", is great for viewing while seated. If you want to tailor it for viewing while standing, go to 36-40". Or use hydraulic jacks and have the best of both worlds. :D

I have mine 39.5" from the floor. I think the tank is at a good viewing level at that height. Since everything is behind the wall and no stand visable it doesn't look out of place or anything.

I know you're not really in my area but if you ever happen to be in the area you can stop by and take a look.

Botton of my stand (where it meets tank) is at 33 3/4", so with the tank trim my sand starts at ~35 3/4"

Kevin,

I would say you're too high!
A 180 is 6'x2'x2' If you put the bottom of the tank at 35-36" the top of the tank will be at 59-60".

Try standing on a chair and reaching the bottom of a 24" tank. I am not tall but at 5' 11" I am not short either. With the pictures you're showing, it seems you will only have access to the tank from the back side. I would make sure you had headroom and a high enough platform to reach the otherside of the tank. You may find that it's a stretch! My tank is at 30" and I wish that it was even a few inches lower. At 26-30 I think it's also a great height for viewing from a sitting possition.

I've heard lots of complaints about in walls being hard to access for some things like aquascaping. Is there any way you could make an access door in the wall above the front of the tank?

I picture setting off the tank with molding detail the way you would a fireplace and hidding an access door that way. You would need to plan the height of the tank for that though.

Attachments

• wallTank.JPG
    wallTank.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 199
The only problem I had with aquascaping my in-wall is that I couldn't see what I was doing (the back wall of the tank is black acrylic). I had no issues reaching any portion of my 24" tall tank.

My in-wall tank sits on a custom 38" stand. My tank is 28" tall (150), so in order to reach the bottom of the tank, I need to stand on milk crates. But then again, I have access to the back of the tank from the back side. So the ugly milk crates work well.
As for the view from the front, it is great while standing (the top of the glass is almost eye level (5'6" +/-), so you don't have top squat. But while sitting on the couches, I think, it is a bit high, maybe 2 or 3" lower would have been ideal if I were to do it again.

Looks like I may need to put more though in the tank height but I will consider all suggestion. After I get the tank in the house I will get a lot better of a view and I will not begin stand until.

There will be an access door above the tank on hinges so the door can stay open. Just not sure if i am going to make one, two or 3 even size doors. I am thinking 3.

Are you going to viewing the tank from one or two sides/Two sided viewing 100% than single sided.End and side? front and back?

whatever height you need for your mirror. ever have to bend over to shave in the morning? since your doing a wall unit you dont have to worry about stability which is why a common stand in lower to the ground.

Kevin, what I did was hang a a 72" x 28" piece of paper on the wall until I felt it was at the right height.

MarkO said:
Kevin, what I did was hang a a 72" x 28" piece of paper on the wall until I felt it was at the right height.

That is exactly what is was going to do tomorrow LOL

Kevin, I have a in-wall 90 . I built the stand with a finish height of 38" this works good for us our couch is about 8-10' away. here are a few pics

Attachments

• tankf.jpg
    tankf.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 157
  • tankr2.jpg
    tankr2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 137
Back