Quick ? On cycling new tank

jdeb101

Non-member
I've been using brightwall aquatics microbacter7 to help cycle my new 95g. Been adding the recommended dose for about a week now and have not seen any rise in ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. It may be good to also mention I've used all dead rock and sand with the exception of one 4lb piece of lr and a 20lb bag of live sand.

Could it be perhaps that the lr and ls have enough beneficial bacteria to be keeping up with the rise in params I'm testing for?

Should I keep dosing the microbacter7 for the full two weeks recommended on the bottles instructions? Or maybe forget about that all together and throw a piece of shrimp in the tank(is it too late at this point?)?

Have you already added the Raw Shrimp? If not try some raw shrimp it really helps speed up the process....never to late.

I just let it run fallow for a month; no fish, no lights and let it do it's thing. That's what they do in Europe. But us Americans are impatient.

be patient , even if you think its cycled you should wait . adding ammonia is def a must . either a raw shrimp as stated above or ammonium chloride . since we can't see what bacteria has "cultured " and we know after time it will . why take the risk . I thought my basement system was ready and added fish . I ended up loosing them because I wasn't patient enough . Just give it a couple months at least and keep adding ammonia sources

be patient , even if you think its cycled you should wait . adding ammonia is def a must . either a raw shrimp as stated above or ammonium chloride . since we can't see what bacteria has "cultured " and we know after time it will . why take the risk . I thought my basement system was ready and added fish . I ended up loosing them because I wasn't patient enough . Just give it a couple months at least and keep adding ammonia sources

Why wait months? (not arguing, just curious) Isn't it safe to say if the cycle runs through and nitrates are at safe or undetectable level it's then ok to add a fish or two as there should be enough beneficial bacteria to keep up with their waste?

a fish or two yes , but then wait a month and add 1 more maybe 2 and so on and so on . I wish we all could add fish like crazy all at once and some do , ( not sure how they get away with that ) but my personal experience that hasn't worked out too well . I figured ehh I got 600 gallons of water here , it should be fiiiiine lol. and it wasn't

a fish or two yes , but then wait a month and add 1 more maybe 2 and so on and so on . I wish we all could add fish like crazy all at once and some do , ( not sure how they get away with that ) but my personal experience that hasn't worked out too well . I figured ehh I got 600 gallons of water here , it should be fiiiiine lol. and it wasn't

Haha I hear ya. That was my plan, add one or two and wait between to give time for system to stabilize from new bioload. I just asked my wife to pick me up one raw shrimp tomorrow while food shopping and she gave me a funny look. :D

I've started 3 tanks on instant ocean bio-spira with no cycle and added corals under 2 weeks never had a loss.
Highly recommended! Disclaimer: Note this on tanks less than 60g in volume and live rock was added.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/instant-ocean-bio-spira.html

Not sure why this isn't common practice by this point.

Thanks Jeff, the product I'm using is similar and has lots of positive reviews online. Question... Did you add live rock after or during the cycle? Did you see any spikes in params during cycle process?

It won't cycle without an ammonia source

...stupid auto correct

What about the stuff dying off the live rock, isn't that an ammonia source? I used Dr. Tim's on the tank I have now, but I still let it run fallow for a month. Then added a couple of green chromis. I can understand that if you are using 100% dead rock and sand you'd have to introduce an ammonia source such as a dead uncooked shrimp or a cycling product. But if you start with live rock or live sand that probably isn't the case but a cycling product would help it along.

Last edited:
Whenever I did I added live rock, live sand, new water plus the Bio-spira never saw a cycle or "spikes"

Thanks Jeff, the product I'm using is similar and has lots of positive reviews online. Question... Did you add live rock after or during the cycle? Did you see any spikes in params during cycle process?

Back