RBTA size and split

stingythingy45

BRS Member
I now have 3 rbta anemones,started with one.
They seem to get about the size of the palm of my hand then split.
I have MH lighting and always keep parameters in the check.
Alk 8 dkh(Elos/API)
Sg. 1.026(auto top-off)
CA. 480 ppm(Elos)
Mg. 1350 ppm(Salifert)
Temp 79 deg.

Not complaining.....yet.They seem to be hanging high in the tank on the glass near the water line, except one that smack dab in the middle of an acro.
Strange thing is it isn't stinging the coral.
They're always bubbled as well.I've heard they can split if happy......or not happy.

interesting

did ur temp flucuate recently or any other rapid changes?

I did like a 50 gallon water change about two weeks ago.My alk was around 11dkh so I stopped all top-off with kalk for a while and did a 50 gallon water change 2 weeks ago.
Tested and it's back around 8 dkh(Elos/API) over the 2 weeks.

Do you feed them? I found mine to split more often when I feed it.
Oddly enough they never seem to have sticky tentacles.Mysis,silversides just fall off.
They seem to be happy,very ruby red and bubbled up.I've gone from 1 to 3 in the past 4-5 months.

I'll snap a picture of the 3 tonight.
The one down in the acro is stretched out long,but wont move up any higher towards the light.

Last edited:
I'll take one off your hands to run some experiments on them if you'd like :p

My RBTA split when I changed from T5's to 175w halide on the 29gal. They LOVE the halide light.. but the change was probably a bit of a shock. Besides the split they have been super healthy and happy (as one can assume an anemone to be).

My params are very similar to yours and remain quite stable. At the time it split, my PH was around 7.9-8.2. I have since switched to kalk dosing and it has been a stable 8.2-8.3 and doesn't waver much above or below that.

A couple pictures of the 3 after the two by the overflow split.
And the original still hiding in the acro.

Attachments

• IMG_3571.jpg
    IMG_3571.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_3574.jpg
    IMG_3574.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 89
Back