recognize this skimmer?

willray

Division Champs
Anyone Know who the manufacturer is?
What's the best way to clean this bad boy? Really gunky inside?

Attachments

• Sscn2034.jpg
    Sscn2034.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 246
I was told that it was a diy but there is a label that has faded all that legible is the word SERIES.Very nice craftsmanship if a diy.

I Don't care about how the outside looks. but the inside looks like the walls in a cave stalagmite, stalagtights,Oh whatever! looks like spikes everywhere

Soak in in vinegar, strong acetic acid solution....

That or maybe muriatic...not sure how the plastic will hold up to HCL tho(aka muriatic)

White vinegar works real good, also try a search a month or two ago this subject came up and some recommended muriatic (sp?) acid.

The skimmer looks like it should work ok, for the size I would guess a Mag-5 might be a good match.

Jim

I have a mag 7. but don't recognize the connection at the valve.not sure how to connect it or operate.won't fit in the sump baffles get in the way.I was going to draw from sump and return to sump. suggestions welcome

My guess is the pump connection is the white PVC elbow, the outlet is the ball valve its built similar to my AquaC (EV-120) and designed to be used in a sump, but can be used outside, be sure to keep the proper water level in the skimmer. I would start off with a water level the same as the water mark visible on the picture, adjust the ball valve to obtain that level. Also see if you can remove the inlet assembly to clean the device used to form the bubbles, and don't reduce the line size from the ball valve back to your sump.

Jim

I am not doubting your ability for handing muriatic acid (hey I was scolded for getting an electric shock in my tank!!), but in case you want to try it, here is an interesting link:

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/infxtra/infmur.shtm

Frankly, I think acetic acid i.e. vinegar + hot water + sponge would be more than enough to clean that baby. Muriatic acid would do the job faster for sure, but I'd rather try the light stuff first.

Personally I use muriatic acid in hot water every time. Works like a champ :) A LOT cheaper than vinegar too... I put about 1 cup in 2 gallons of as hot as the water gets out of my tap. Let it soak about 15 minutes. Rinse well :) Sometimes a small brush helps, but most of it will be gone by that point.

soaking in vinagar overnight worked pretty good.Could this be a venturi skimmer?
Looks like just pipe in side. duh! what I mean is what creates the bubbles.1/2" PVC elbow doesn't want to seperate.that assembly just rotates a little.

muric acid aka hydrocloric acid.been using it for 20+yrs.its the flux for etching stainless
so it can be soldered.Nasty stuff. no thanks this *hit eats everything in short order.

Back