Red Mangroves fresh to saltwater

BlueBadger

BRS Member
Hi all, tapping into the brain trust for a question and sorry if this is in the wrong subforum.

Has anyone successfully transferred freshwater grown red mangroves to saltwater? I have about 20 red mangroves in a freshwater planted tank, and I'd like to get 5 or so adapted to salt water. I'm thinking of making a macroalgae tank. I could get some fresh mangrove seeds, but I have these mature trees that are about 16-20 inches tall and want to see if I can use them.

My thoughts: I need to go from 0ppt to 35ppt and will do so slowly over ~2 months. I'll set up a 1 gallon vase with one of those aqueon 5w heaters, fill it with used fish tank water and slowly increase salinity in it. When I do my weekly reef tank water changes, I'll add some of that used salt water to the mangrove jar and check salinity along the way, aiming to raise it a few ppt each week. Or... should I try to make it more of a constant salinity increase and just add dry reef salt every couple days to the water? Anyone have experience? I'll document the findings if this seems like a good idea.

I have no experience with this, but I would add a little water each week from your reef rather than adding dry salt.

I suspect you can just toss them in the saltwater - but don't know for sure, just talking sh** like half the people on this forum :). There is millions of years of evolution suggesting you probably don't need to baby them too much for saltwater. I read somewhere that they actually grow faster in fresh water than salt water, so if your goal is to grow them faster you may want to keep them in fresh until you like these size.

I suspect you can just toss them in the saltwater - but don't know for sure, just talking sh** like half the people on this forum :). There is millions of years of evolution suggesting you probably don't need to baby them too much for saltwater. I read somewhere that they actually grow faster in fresh water than salt water, so if your goal is to grow them faster you may want to keep them in fresh until you like these size.
I have a few mangrove Whit red roots growing in my saltwater tank

Hi all, tapping into the brain trust for a question and sorry if this is in the wrong subforum.

Has anyone successfully transferred freshwater grown red mangroves to saltwater? I have about 20 red mangroves in a freshwater planted tank, and I'd like to get 5 or so adapted to salt water. I'm thinking of making a macroalgae tank. I could get some fresh mangrove seeds, but I have these mature trees that are about 16-20 inches tall and want to see if I can use them.

My thoughts: I need to go from 0ppt to 35ppt and will do so slowly over ~2 months. I'll set up a 1 gallon vase with one of those aqueon 5w heaters, fill it with used fish tank water and slowly increase salinity in it. When I do my weekly reef tank water changes, I'll add some of that used salt water to the mangrove jar and check salinity along the way, aiming to raise it a few ppt each week. Or... should I try to make it more of a constant salinity increase and just add dry reef salt every couple days to the water? Anyone have experience? I'll document the findings if this seems like a good idea.
I have one myself but has not sprouted leaves as of yet but the roots are growing. I also blast the upper half with rodi to keep the upper half clean of salt creep. It’s just in the water in my overflow at the moment. Is it best to place in mud or sand? Or can I keep it where it is for now?

I have one myself but has not sprouted leaves as of yet but the roots are growing. I also blast the upper half with rodi to keep the upper half clean of salt creep. It’s just in the water in my overflow at the moment. Is it best to place in mud or sand? Or can I keep it where it is for now?
Mine is just hanging in a frag rack basically on the waterline and roots are also coming out but there’s no leaves

Same here no leaves but I have a ton of roots for sure
But I do have a grow light to grow plants regular plants on top of it maybe that will help I don’t know I have no answer to that lol. It’s actually a good thing the roots are coming out it means it’s absorbing stuff of the salt water column

I killed one years ago going straight from salt to fresh. I think your idea of doing it slowly with water change water is a fine idea and should work. Julian Sprung info here says to take time

Thank you for sharing, this is a very good resource. I've been using this defunct website for information on red and orange mangroves: http://www.mangrove.at/keeping.html

Time to gather materials and start the experiment!

But I do have a grow light to grow plants regular plants on top of it maybe that will help I don’t know I have no answer to that lol. It’s actually a good thing the roots are coming out it means it’s absorbing stuff of the salt water column
Yes look at this lol. Not the best picture but you can see the growth. Thank you for who started this post and the website provided. Greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 36349FE2-9491-4EAA-86DB-9CC19A8CB525.jpeg
    36349FE2-9491-4EAA-86DB-9CC19A8CB525.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 111
  • 1BE6A172-4AF6-45C6-89A0-7C4AD669FB40.jpeg
    1BE6A172-4AF6-45C6-89A0-7C4AD669FB40.jpeg
    122.4 KB · Views: 108
Back