Reef safe angels

Troubleman

Non-member
Was hoping to put a flame angel in my reef setup, but found out they nip at lps and clams. Are there any colorful dwarf angels that are reef safe, or should I forget about angels alltogether.

Currently have: Mated true percs, royal gramma, purpleback pseudochromis, bicolor blenny, blue hippo tang.

This is a 90 gallon setup w/20 and 40 gallon sump/fuge.

(will eventually add a manderin dragonet and ?

Thanks
bob

I believe all the dwarf angels are hit-or-miss. Some of the larger angels are consistantly reef-safe though. Look at the Genicanthus genus of angels. Others such as the Majestic Angel (I keep one) are fairly reliable in a reef, but occasionally an individual will misbehave.

like nate said, they are hit or miss. i have a flame angel in my tank and it doesn't nip at anything (well, i only have soft corals and sps). i plan on having lps and clams so hopefully i have a well-behaved one. :)

i have had really good luck with flamebacks (african). i have had two and one would on occasion pick at an open brain (jumped out of the tank and died), the one i currently have hasn't looked at anything. currently have sps, Lps, clams, and zoas in the tank.

I have had a flame angle for around 4 years without incident; no clam nipping and no lps nipping. I also have a Goldflake Angel that behaves as well.

There were a couple of long threads last year on nano-reef.com where the purpose was to catalog experiences with dwarf angels and come to a concensus on which were the best bets for nano tanks.

In my 46 I had a coral beauty and also a flame. With Lps and clams .... No problems. Everybody is now living in the 75 and doing even better.

So far it looks 50/50.......so I buy two and keep the well behaved and resell the bad boy .....lol. I don't know, I think it's worth a shot, just get rid of him if he picks at stuff.

Thanks for the info and other links..
bob

I had a Coral Beauty that was an angel (pun intended), then one day he got a taste for Digi polyps.

I killed him!!!

Back