Reef tank newbie question - What are these?

srivatsa

Non-member
I introduced a live rock - with a couple of months there are hunderds of these small ones comming up all over. I thought these were feather dusters - but unlike the duster worms they seem to have a soft stems. Do you know if these are good or bad for my tank? Apperciate any suggestions to deal with this.

Attachments

• DSC_0370.jpg
    DSC_0370.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 378
Thanks a bunch! Most of them are very small - I will probably get rid of the them before they start to grow. Large ones let me decide on what to do.

Not easy as I thought would be - there are lots more and looks like I may loose all of the expensive live rock. I am thinking to recycle the tank - not much live stock or corals anyway! This is probably the best thing to do for now.

I have injected these pests with kalk paste with some success but I wouldnt want to do this if you really have "hundreds".Nice photography skills by the way.

i bought a copperband butterfly fish and he ate all my pests. but the bad thing is i cant have any feather dusters with him, and it took me awhile to get him to eat frozen foods though so if you do get one make sure they eat frozen food in front of you.

+1 on peppermint shrimp. I have 2 in my 29g and I have never seen even one aptasia in the 9 months i've had my tank for.

Oh, and +1 on nice photography skills.

Back