Reefbreeder vs. Ocean revive whites question

mvallee

Non-member
I was sure I wanted to go reef breeders 32" photon series after reading lots of good things but am confused by one thing the whites channel on the reef breeders seems more FW than SW. Specs for the photon 32" list the white channel as 22 4500K neutral whites, seem like warm whites to me when talking marine. I would expect lots of bad algae growth with that spectrum of white. The rest of the channel 10 480nm blues,​ 4 660nm reds, and 12 410-420nm violets. looks good but why the neutral only for whites?

Ocean revive OR-IT2080 (32") has a white channel like I would expect to see to grow corals with Neutral White 7500K 12pcs and Cool White 12000K 24pcs for a total of 36 whites in the higher color spectrum.

I have two ocean revive OR-IT2040's already and looking to add one 32" light to cover my 180 gallon 72" tank and while they both look exactly the same their LED colors are definitely different. The current OR-IT2040 have Neutral White 7500K 6pcs

I almost think some algae growth would be good as I have a tomini tang and a lawnmower Blenny that are always grazing and I really have no algae to speak of but not wanting to grow nuisance algae either.

Thoughts experience would be appreciated. I am leaning towards reef breeders because I like the mix of the other LEDS but am concerned with all those 4500K whites. I am also more of a softies/LPS kinda guy with hammers torch's frogspawn toadstools as my favorites with a wish list of some other softies like duncans but I have some montipora and a birds nest that seem to be doing good and I might want to add some more soon too with a couple caps and an elegance coral or two as my next adds. Oh yeah and I have an RBTA that is doing real good under the Ocean Revive right now too.

I am currently running two Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED on one half of my tank and while I really like the visual appearance of the light a 24" deep tank just does not work for these lights. The color is nice, the ramp timer is awesome and I do find corals look good but do not think the LPS that I have are thriving so I am looking to step up my game. I was supplementing with a Quad t5 but the top of my tank was just littered with different lights and time to settle on one type of light hence the 36" light to compliment what I have in the Ocean Revive light and allow me to remove everything else.

a fixture with 3w led with 90* optics delivers quite a punch even in 36in of water, I get about 5-600 on the bottom.

The Ocean Revives definitely do the job all the way to the bottom, I have the two IT 2040's running on one half of my tank right now just trying to decide between another Ocean Revive or reef breeders to cover the second half of the tank as the Current USA Orbit seem to be lacking in keeping the LPS happy down deep. they are basically the same light just different spectrums and looking for any opinions on the reefbreeders choice to go with 4500K neutral whites as opposed to a higher K and how does that effect algae growth.

22 Neutral whiles might give you a warmer look than you are used to. Algae prefer the 660nm red (with a little royal blue), so if you like the look than I would not be too concerned from an algae point of view. If really want to dig that deep than ask the manufacturer for a spectrogram of their while LEDs, a reputable one should have no issue giving one, though some of them will make you sign a non disclosure / no competition agreement before providing one.
On another note, it would be interesting to see how the same coral does under these two different lights, everything else being equal.

I don't own reef breeders but have considered them in the past and I'm pretty sure you can switch out any leds you want with a custom layout for 10$.... so if you like the reef breeders color mix and the ocean revive whites then switch them out for neutral/cool whites?
My lights come with cool whites only witch I personally like better then neutral or warm.

decided on the reefbreeders placed the order for the 32" photon got all the way though the checkout process into paypal to get a message stating the photon 32" is no longer available to order. I can not find any info on their site in regards to this so am waiting for a callback from their CS.
I could probably get away with the 24" but like the 32" for the extra LED's and power.

Just spoke with Logan @ reefbreeders and indeed was just a website glitch, the light is still available and the order went through. I will update when I get it setup and compared to the current Ocean Revive.

Back