Regal Angel

While not in the club, there's a guy in Florida I know from a MACNA I attended quite a while back that has a mated pair in his SPS tank. I believe they spawn on a regular basis for him.

I wonder if they are more hardy in pairs? I know the big problem is getting them to start eating and that they love zoos.

i could be wrong but...

i think calciumbuff (jim) has had his for a while. when i talked to him about it he said it took him a couple to get a good one but the one he has know he has had a while but not sure how long

I've had one for about 4 years. Before that I had one for 2 years. In between I had one that didn't make it past a week or two. Eats just about everything including pellets. I don't keep lps or zoas in the tank but has never touched an invert or SPS. I think that the critical factor is whether or not it is eating well in captivity before you purchase it. And, if there are aggressive fish like tangs, it might get spooked and not do well.

Have had mine for about two years now, doing quite well, gaining size and has been a model citizen and a pleasure to watch in the tank ( but I'm partial to angels so my opinion is bias) , As stated above it took a couple to get one to stick. Jim

I just lost the older of mine a few weeks ago. I think I had had him since dec 2005. He was eating very well, king of the tank and always intimidated his mate. One day I fed the tank and he didn't come out. He was in the rockwork looking otherwise normal. The next day he was in the rockwork looking labored and died a few hours later. His body showed no signs of skinnyness or any other bad signs I could see.

I have no clue what killed him, but it is the same mysterious death that many regals sucumb to.

I did freeze the body in case someone wants to attempt to figure it out one of these days.

I just got a trio of babies (1-1.5") and they are already eating mysis. They've been in the country less than 48 hours. We'll see how they progress.

joe

Here is a couple of mine

Attachments

• regal2 (Small).jpg
    regal2 (Small).jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 233
  • Regal1 (Small).jpg
    Regal1 (Small).jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 223
>I did freeze the body in case someone wants to attempt to figure it out one of these days<

I don't know if a frozen fish will be good for this, but I do recall seeing that there is going to be a workshop at MACNA on how to perform a fish necropsy.

Who would be doing it? I might contact them and see if it is worth bringing.

Edit: Darn, I just realised that I forgot to pre register for macna. :(

Excuse the crappy pic...I'm too lazy to clean the glass and I don't know how to use the camera at all.

Also, please don't PM me asking to buy these. They are NOT for sale, and no, i cannot get you some.

Attachments

• regals.JPG
    regals.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 192
Here's a couple of better shots. Much easier to shoot with the lights out.

Attachments

• mini-DSC_0023.JPG
    mini-DSC_0023.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 175
  • mini-DSC_0047.JPG
    mini-DSC_0047.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 170
They are beautiful fish. From what I've read it seems like most will chow down on zoos but other softies and LPS can be hit or miss.

Back