return nozzel very strong

SteveDola

Good Tings
BRS Member
besides cutting back on the ball valve on my QO 4000 is there a modification I can make on my return nozzel to reduce the stream and disperse the flow to a wider area? links would be appriciated. :)

I have the same kit, and replaced the single nozzle with a loc-line "Y" and two nozzles, to distribute the flow towards the two ends of the tank. This doesn't make it wider, however, only splits it in two... if you want some serious, wide flow, go with the penductor that Mark suggested.

Nuno

im looking to have less of a direct stream and more of a even split so that the return doesnt disturb the sand bed.

What about splitting the return nozzle into 2 and using wider nozzles to disperse the flow more? This is easy to do if you use lockline or something similar where they make nozzles in several widths and sell y adapters and such.

I was thinking of taking the existing ball joint return line from AGA and replacing it with 3/4" lock line Y and spliting over the top of the overflow. I just wanted to know if there was a fitting that could replace the nozzel and widen the flow.

Im interested in the educator...would that reduce the strenght of return and disperse the water to a broader area?

I split the megaflow return on my 72 gallon by lowering the durso and using a 3/4" threaded PVC tee at the top of the return pipe. I popped out the u shaped hole on the other side of the overflow, and then put 3/4 " locline out of each side of the overflow. I am getting half of the origional flow out of each nozzle, so the flow is much more spread out in the tank. I am running a QO 3000. I liked this better than using a Y on the locline because it is close to invisible.

I can take a pic tonight when I do my water change.
-Brian

SteveDola said:
I was thinking of taking the existing ball joint return line from AGA and replacing it with 3/4" lock line Y and spliting over the top of the overflow. I just wanted to know if there was a fitting that could replace the nozzel and widen the flow.

Im interested in the educator...would that reduce the strenght of return and disperse the water to a broader area?

a penductor will widen the flow but it will not decrease it it will increase flow ;)

Pics Of Return

Steve, Here are the return pics I promised.

This is from in the tank

Attachments

• in tank.jpg
    in tank.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 183
This one is from the top down. Notice ... I was able to use the ball line from AGA on the right and loc line on the left. This saved me from having to buy all new locline. I also added a straight pipe so I only had to use 6" of loc line on the left.

Attachments

• top down.jpg
    top down.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 187
The tee is a nylon 3/4 inch threaded tee. It is threaded all around. This was the hardest part to find, but I got it at true value hardware on cumberland st in Woonsocket. I used a slip - thread adaptor from the return pipe to the tee.

you can see the AGA durso return in this pic

One more from the top with a better view...

Attachments

• top down higher.jpg
    top down higher.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 196
Steve, Glad you like it, and I am glad it helps. Maked for a very clean looking setup. I was under orders from my wife to have as little locline in the tank as possible.

Clam Man, I didn't put a syphon break hole in the T. I have a check valve after my return pump to prevent backflow. It would be easy enough to drill one at the same location as in the AGA setup though.

-Brian

just wanted to point that out if somone wanted to add it if they did't have a check valve still might be a good idea even with a check valve can't be to careful

I'd just expand your lockline to a couple sizes larger. wider diameter will equal lower velocity with the same flow.

The Penductor is great, and defintely widens the flow, but also increases the total flow. If you're trying to keep your sand in place that's not the direction you want to go. :D I love the flow, but I'm still figuring out the right placement to keep my sand on the bottom. :)

I agree. I actually added the check valve in case the old one got clogged. I will probably add the hole next time I have the plumbing apart.
Redundant systems are redundant for a reason :)

Back