Rock Flowers Spawning at full moon?

RichardinMA

Non-member
The tank that has my greatest number of rock flower anemones is also my tank that I run Radions on with the moonlights in the lunar cycle mode (matching the actual lunar cycle). Tonight is the full moon and I noticed that both of my mature anemones were releasing sperm. I missed the first one actually releasing but the tank was pretty cloudy from the volume released. The second male was mid-spawn and I was able to catch a couple quick videos. It was interesting to see but really made the tank milky. :( I have never had more than one release sperm before and did not know the sex of my green one until today. I thought it was a bit odd that both of them were going off at the same time and then I remembered the lunar cycle. I'll be paying much closer attention next month as well to see if the lunar cycle may be having any effect. I am hoping I still have a female in there out of the other two. If all four are males and they all go off at the same time it is going to be a problem.

Has anyone else noticed spawning behavior in their tanks coinciding with the full moon?

In these videos you can see how clouded the water already was from the first male's release.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxgDUNQjXi0&feature=youtu.be

At least the fish got a quick meal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhaawHU_QNA&feature=youtu.be

My snails were pretty active a week or two ago. At first I panicked thinking it was another heater malfunction since the water was milky, but then I saw them shooting whisps of smoke. I thought maybe it was just spring.

Interesting and eye opening. I do not remember Jacque Cousteau ever filming that for his TV specials.

That's really cool. I didn't know that anemones reproduced in that way.

It was interesting and surprising. I am curious to see if it happens again. I don't know if the two were responding to some external stimuli, and if so what it was (full moon?) Or, was it just mere coincidence? Was one reacting to the other? I really do hope that they reproduce as others have had happen so I look forward to future events.

Not too sure if it's some kind of reproduction, but every once in a while I see some of my Zoas (AOG and Tyree Rainbows) release a long stringy thing that sways around for a while before it rips out of their mouth.

I wonder if too much "coral spawning" is detrimental to water quality? Have you tested to see if Nitrates have spiked since the incident?

Higor

I have not tested for nitrate but it would be a few days anyway before that spiked considering they just spawned yesterday. A heavy spawn can definitely have an negative impact on water quality which is why I am really hoping all four of my RF anemones are not males. The milky cloud in the tank yesterday was bad enough from just two.

Regarding the zoas, it depends on the color of the discharge. A lot of coral will expel waste, and sometimes even excess zooxanthellae, through their mouth but these usually look brown. Sperm release will be white, stringy or smokey, and eggs will be little balls. I have a purple Briareum that released eggs one night and they were turquoise green in color.

Not too sure if it's some kind of reproduction, but every once in a while I see some of my Zoas (AOG and Tyree Rainbows) release a long stringy thing that sways around for a while before it rips out of their mouth.

I wonder if too much "coral spawning" is detrimental to water quality? Have you tested to see if Nitrates have spiked since the incident?

Higor

Back