RSR 250 - Equipment Selection

PSU4ME

BRS Member
I've been out for a while but getting back in with a Red Sea Reefer 250 and i'm going through to planning process and would love to get some insights from you all on equipment because there are quite a bit of options. I'll do a build thread later, once its all in but would like to have this thread to talk through selection.

Cost does matter....later down the road i'll look at that stuff but for now i've selected things that i think are comparable in price and i'm comfy with so I don't want cost to sway anyone's thoughts. Reliability and performance are the big things for me.

Return Pump:
  1. VarioS 6
  2. Vectra M2
Skimmer:
  1. Vertex 150
  2. Nylos 160
Lights: Tank is 35.5" long, 20" deep
  1. 2x XR15 Pro
  2. 2x XR30 Pro
  3. 2-3 Kessils
I'll add some more things as I come across the choice but i'll start there.

Thanks in advance for the help!

If you planning on a predominately SPS tank, go with the XR30 pro's, if you don't mind a little less coverage and PAR, then go with the XR16 Pros. Don't know much about the kessils, but the Reefbreeders is a another viable option. I've heard great things about the Nyos 160, and planned on going with that skimmer for my current build, but have since changed my mind to the S-200 eshopps as I want the blue color scheme to maintain the look through my sump and plumbing. Great reviews on that skimmer and about a $100 and change less expensive than the Nyos.

I like the smaller footprint of the Nylos. I'm not aiming for high end sticks on this tank.....that takes too much work hahahaha. I like the clean open top of the tank so i want the lights to be minimal......

Thanks for the comments!

Back