Running Carbon

Ba19Ma88

Non-member
I have heard of some people running carbon by just filling up a poly bag and dropping inside the sump for 24-48 hours.

I run it through a canister filter.

Just wondering what people do?

I've been using carbon on a bag between the sump baffles... until yesterday, that is... I setup a Phosban reactor and filled it with carbon. IMO it will provide much better contact with the carbon, as the water in the baffles will tend to go around any obstacle, and not through it.

Nuno

Nuno is probably right, you will get better flow by the carbon in a reactor or in a canister set-up (the only thing that the Eheim is good for now). With that said, I've just run the carbon in a bag in the sump for a few days and it's worked beautifully. Hope this helps, Bruce!

Eric

I run one layer of rock and a full layer of Carbon between fiber pads in my Ehiem. I run it for a about 10 days clean it and and replace carbon. The rock catches a lot of crud.

I have tried it via canister type and drop in. To me they work about the same for clarity. I run it constantly as well.

Cool link Moe...Ill have to try and work that in my plumbing...FOr now Ill keep using the eheim.

I'm going to use my old Fluval 303 when I get the pick up tube from a LFS. I did it before in the past, it work real well.

Nice link Moe

I would like to do it on bigger PVC tubing.

Back