S.O.S. Blue hippo's eye popping out

jofost1216

Non-member
I woke up this morning and when the lights turned on i noticed my hippo didn't come out of where it sleeps, then noticed its eye looks to be popping out of its head. It looks somewhat cloudy and it is out about 2 or 3cm and looks like theres a rim around its eye. its still swimming a

Can anyone recommend anything or fill me in on what might be going on. I called a couple stores and one person mentioned pop-eye but didnt know anything about it?. May be irrelevant.

Checking water parameters now. As of last week all were normal except 40ppm nitrate and .25ppm ammonia. Found a huge dead turbo snail that had been in there for a couple days and removed it. Nitrate levels were over 100ppm 2 weeks ago but ive done 3 water changes since then and as of this past sunday it was at 40ppm. And another 33% water change followed.

Dont know where to go from here.
Please help if you can. thanks

John

That sounds like popeye.

I would quarantine him and use Melafix and pimafix.

They are both natural medicine and it worked great for me when my Sailfin tang had popeye.

Good luck
Higor

I've treated popeye using saltwater maracyn with great success. I usually use QT tank and cover 3 sides of the tank so to reduce the stress. PVC pipes for hiding and no substrate. I use a filter box with a "seeded" filter pad...and feed and aerate well. No lights to reduce stress. Follow the instructions on the package and hopefully the eye magically goes back to normal. Def test water for ammonia and ph...

Maracyn2 in qt works awesome for popeye. I'd immediately start a course for a 5 day treatment. Then observe and retreat another round only if necessary. Feed well and keep water quality in check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

So its strange its eye is almost completely back to normal without any chemical treatments. Im wondering if it was just a scratch on the fish's eye, thats the only other idea i got from discussion-sites. So hopefully this wont continue. thank u all for your help.

John

John,

That can happen. Others have noted the medical procedure.

Often, a fish loses vision in the eye effected. These fish can go on to lead very normal lives, just don't be surprised if they keep their blind side away from the front of the aquarium.

Matt:cool:

John,

That can happen. Others have noted the medical procedure.

Often, a fish loses vision in the eye effected. These fish can go on to lead very normal lives, just don't be surprised if they keep their blind side away from the front of the aquarium.

Matt:cool:

Back